This is EXACTLY what I've been talking about...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Superlyte27

Banned
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
So, for some time now I've been posting about Shearwater Research. Today this was posted on TDS forum. I shamelessly cut and pasted what a forum member wrote and thought you guys who are trying to make a decision might be able to narrow it down easier. I think the truly exceptional companies with both great product and unparalleled customer service like this one have no competitor. Of course if you want to read the whole thread, you can go over to TDS and find it yourself, but here's what Waterwitch wrote:

Manufacturers: Take note of this company's exceptional customer service
Customer service in the dive industry can be a misnomer. Good customer service is sometimes hard to come by and excellent customer service is quite rare.

I would like to share my Shearwater Computers customer service experience. I have a Predator controller for the rEvo and a Petrel stand-alone. Both computers were working flawlessly until a very soggy day in cave country when both decided to “misbehave” and required me to contact Curt McNamee from Shearwater for service.

1st Kudos Point: Prompt reply!

There was none of the usual “leaving messages on an answering machine, reassuring you of a prompt reply”. They actually call you back! Promptly!

So I explain to Curt my problem and mentioned that I was hoping to have both back in about two weeks time for Innerspace 2013.

2nd Kudos Point: Truly Exceptional

Curt informed me that he will be out of country before he would even get the shipment and that he does not have a loner available, BUT:

He would send me his (personal) Predator controller and Predator stand-alone so that I would not miss diving at Innerspace.

WOW!!!

3rd Kudos Point: Prompt delivery

I had his personal Predators in hand in only four days.

4th Kudos Point: Equipment Service

We both came back from our trips around the same time and a few days later Curt informed me that he had mine all fixed and ready to go. He went over in detail what he found and said he will send both computers back to me the next day. I shipped his back that day knowing, that as a man of his word, I will have mine back in time to dive that weekend.

5th Kudos Point: More Wow

During our conversations, Curt never mentioned the cost of repair. It did not matter to me and I figured I will get the bill with the return of my Shearwaters. Well they arrived promptly as promised. The only piece of paper that was included outlined the repairs performed, but no bill! So, I called Curt convinced that it was an oversight on his part. He assured me that there is NO CHARGE. He even refused to let me pay for all the shipping back and forth! Curt stated that it the company’s policy to focus on excellent customer service and this is just part of it.

So WOW! I wish more manufacturers would stand behind their products as much as Shearwater computers.

Thank you Shearwater and Curt McNamee! Although being a fan before, I am total Shearwater enthusiast now.​

---------- Post added June 11th, 2013 at 11:34 AM ----------

This story was very familiar to me. A few months ago I drove to cave country to make a dive with my rEvo rebreather. It was about 6:45 at night and I had just driven 2 hours after a long day of work. I noticed that my Fisher Cable has broken in half at the connector. In a panic I called Curt at Shearwater Research (The Rep for the USA) hoping he could tell me how to put the broken pieces back together (yes I'm an idiot) and he told me he could overnight me a new cable. I asked him how much. He said nothing, it's under warranty. I told him I had bought this rEvo used, and I was certain that the Fisher Connector was at least a year old. He said no worries, he would take care of it. He then told me that Cave Country Dive Shop in High Springs stocks Fisher Cables and if they were willing, I could run to the dive shop and take their cable, and he would ship them a new one. I called the manager Marissa who said, "no problem" and I was up and running like it had never happened.

It's hard to beat customer service like that. I can't speak more highly of Shearwater Research and Cave Country Dive Shop. When the crap hits the fan, they are there to bail you out every time. Thanks guys. I love you bunches, especially the wiener dog Siphon.

Thanks for passing this on. If/when I am in the market for a piece of their equipment this will definitely help push the "pro" side of the pros and cons list.

I have 2 Petrels and love them. I have found nothing to date on the market that matches them for quality or functionality. I had a Liquivision XEO and I didn't like it so sold it at a loss and bought these Petrels. One for me and one for my wife. Screen is easy to read, battery runs fine to date no issues. Clock is accurate. To date cannot fault it.

Cant say the same about the XEO. Clock was all over the place, disliked the time offset function (why is this needed in this day and time?). Couldn't read the start up screen in the sun as its green, if you can change it to yellow or white I never worked out how? Had to run the screen colours in yellow to read them but this was hard on the battery. Not impressed with it. Would have to say however that the battery replacement program was well run by them.

I love having good customer support and dive shops willing to extend the good customer service of one company to their dealings with customers.

Shining examples of this would be HOG, Shearwater, ScubaPro just to name a few.

That being said, I have dealt with some absolutely ATROCIOUS customer support with my time diving. The Chiefton of all would have to be AquaLung. They make a good product, but good lord, if you ever want to get a hold of them regarding an issue that was THEIR fault (bad unit, etc) you won't hear from them for a good while. As a matter of fact, I had an issue with a back-inflate BCD of theirs that had an obviously inferior part fail during use, causing a dangerous situation underwater.

When I emailed them and tried to get a hold of them, it took 8 DAYS to get a reply (which was basically them telling me that there was nothing to do about it). And by then I had already contacted Scuba.com and received a full refund for the faulty equipment because I had grown tired of waiting for them to reply at their convenience.

Now, on the other hand, my experience with HOG customer support was prompt and to the point, and I had the component needed in hand in 2 days. Very little unnecessary questions or run-around

Customer service is everything in the dive industry, and failing miserably at that leaves a very bad taste in people's mouth. See my signature.

Glad to hear you received good customer support and even better to see that you are spreading the word about a great company.

Good news travels fast - Bad News travels faster

Good reputations are hard to get and easy to lose

Its the time of the internet guys, you can run but you surly cant hide.

Want to see a good business go bad - simply do nothing

My x1 was replaced no questions asked. Not thrilled an expensive piece of gear malfunctioned, but i had a free loaner from the shop in the meantime, and a new computer. Very good service.

I will add Sealife gives good tech support also. I had a button failure at depth on the case of my DC 1200. Couple buttons worked above 80 ft but not below. Camera was just over a year old. Called sealife and one week later I had a brand new case at no cost and in time for the next dive trip.

I will second good customer service from SeaLife! Bought a DC-1400 and had problems with battery. They overnighted a new one at no charge. I also had a problem with zoom function at depth. Sent it to them and had it back with a new case in a week.

When I was at BTS two or three years ago, Lynn called me over to ask me what changes I would make to the Predator if I were designing it. I told her that my only complaint was that I couldn't get a battery when mine went dead in Grenada because it was a 3.7 volt instead of a AA. She called Curt over and asked him if it was possible to design it to use a AA. He replied that it was, but the battery wouldn't be as reliable. I said that not having a battery was sure as hell unreliable. Anyway, when the Petrel came out some months later, sure enough it would run on a AA, although it prefers the 3.7 volt. That's customer service when they ask a user what they think before they even release the model.

Best service ever.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom