Thinner gloves for cold water diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive 50F water. I traded down from 5mm to 3mm for the dexterity and haven't noticed a difference in the thermal comfort. Some of my friends dive 1mm or canvas gloves, just to take the sting off, and a few of them don't wear gloves at all. 5mm with a chopped index finger and thumb is common around here as well.

There's a set of 5mm semidry gloves or something from Piranha or somewhere that somebody said something good about. Unfortunately, I've forgotten pretty much all the details.

One thing to consider is that some gloves come with pre-curved fingers. I.e. they're stitched so that the fingers aren't straight. My aqua lung gloves do that (though I cant remember what kind they are). They are 5mm and I have great dexterity with them. I have no problems clipping and unclipping things from my drings.

I have been using a 3mm Aqualung/Thermocline for a couple of years. They finally fell apart and now am using a 3mm Tilos glove. Keeps my hands from getting to cold in the winter waters at 53-55.

Diving in the great lakes in the winter (0-4C) I have found the best solution is to use three finger mitts. I dive with a pair of 5mm mitts and have never had a problem with cold hands. If you don't practice a bit with them you will feel some dexterity loss, but they are so much warmer.

If you have a good suit that's keeping you warm enough then your blood circulation should take care of your hands so that they shouldn't get too cold no matter what gloves you wear. I currently use a custom 7mm farmer john suit that keeps me very warm in our low 50s waters here in Chile. For gloves I usually use reef type gloves that have imitation leather palms and thin (maybe 1-2mm) neoprene on the top and haven't had any problems feeling cold, even with all the holes my current pair has.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom