Thinking to solo dive ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've heard stories of people becoming paralyzed whie diving, or typically as they surface from an AGE or DCS. I try to minimize that possibility by doing very slow ascents and not going into deco when alone.

Other than that, I guess the risk is having a heart attack? But I'm only 36.
Think about more mundane things... kidney stones or a burst appendix can cause sudden debilitating pain at any age with little or no warning. FWIW, I've buried a friend (runner, skinny, all the "right" lifestyle & diet stuff) who had a sudden MI at 38. See this thread... another runner and lap swimmer in his 30's in "excellent shape," though dieting. (It turnded out ultimately that the diver in that thread had a heart problem - remained undetected for another six months!) As the saying goes, stuff happens... it's just something you have to accept as part of the risk of swimming or diving alone.
Again, by all means take precautions to mitigate those things you can control when solo diving, just realize no one is immune to the "undeserved event" and that there is that added risk when no one else is around.
I still do a bit of solo diving, but less and less as I get older... once the youngest is a taxpayer I'll likely do it a bit more again :)
Rick

I did my first solo scuba dives when I was 14. I had few dive buddies and my dad was not into diving and he really had no clue, I guess. Most of my initial solo diving was in a lake at depths less than 30 feet and this provided much fewer dangers than the ocean.

I remember my first night dive was solo in a lake also.

I agree with what most people said, except about carrying a redundant air supply. If you are solo diving in less than 35-40 feet, ANY person who is really competant to solo dive does not really need a redundant air supply.

I solo dive 95% of the time, but I will admit that when I'm doing a scary dive that I have not done 20 or 30 times before, I will usually rather have a competant buddy along. It is probably more of a psychological crutch than anything.

Dumpsterdiver I also Dont carry redundant air. I guess after the J valve I just always made sure I had plenty of air. Its possible I would change my mind if I ever had a reg problem serious Enough to think I should.

I Just like to keep it simple ,Unless a decco on decomperssion for long deep dives.

I remember my first night dive was solo in a lake also.

I agree with what most people said, except about carrying a redundant air supply. If you are solo diving in less than 35-40 feet, ANY person who is really competant to solo dive does not really need a redundant air supply.

?? What if you are diving in 41ft. of water....do you now need a redundant source of gas while solo diving??

Its possible I would change my mind if I ever had a reg problem serious Enough to think I should.

Well you might not get that next chance.

?? What if you are diving in 41ft. of water....do you now need a redundant source of gas while solo diving??

Well actually the critical depth is EXACTLY 13 meters, after that you are definitely dead!:D

Well, the solo diver who died locally the other day was pulled out of 30 feet of water. I have no idea about his competence, although I think (based on what I've read) that he was neither properly skilled nor properly equipped for solo diving. But I do have to wonder if he'd still be alive today if he'd taken a redundant air source with him ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Well anything is possible ,If the failed reg ,air 2 or octo, 1st stage all completely quit.
I need 4 sec to take off bc, 4 sec to take off 1st stage and get the air I need to surface.
(hope the sea gods give me that 8 seconds) also I always suggest wear a neutral bouyant weight-belt when divig a weight intergrated.

Now I should Just shut up about other ways to get air, cause I wont argue anyones belief. If there is any way to get to the surface I have either tried it or practiced it. I just hope the hell my air gauge is always accurate.

For all of you that think your air gauge last, sorry they dont, replace it after 500 dives 0r a few years. Just my opion, It might read good to you but maybe not accurate, A I computers can get checked, and should ,depth can get out of wack a little also.
Before user replaceable batteries came along, you sent in for repacement and they would pressure check to say 250' and give you a reading on ndl limits.

You should have it pressure checked once in a while. cheking it with a new one I suppose would be fine Also.

And of course when diving deep, Doubles and decco, Is my redundant.

The only thing I never read or hear about advice on having problems underwater, Is DIVEGEAR is tottaly replaceable, The diver here came to the surface, Somehow I think Instructors should Emphasize the fact that without your gear you can fight the surface current or Float and rest then continue. OW class has it that you can blow up Under own breath it will keep you out of water higher, To me it seems no air get rid of it. unless the situation gives you the time to take bc off dump tank and put on.

If that breaks standards Ill just shut up.

As far as I'm concerned, I dont care what it cost Ill dump it.

Free diving skills are some of the best survivel skills you will run across.

Well, the solo diver who died locally the other day was pulled out of 30 feet of water. I have no idea about his competence, although I think (based on what I've read) that he was neither properly skilled nor properly equipped for solo diving. But I do have to wonder if he'd still be alive today if he'd taken a redundant air source with him ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm a big supporter of redundancy, but in 30 feet it is not required in my mind. Is there some reason to believe that he ran out of air at depth, was entangled or had equipment failure that might have been mitigated by a pony? We lost an experienced diver in Florida a few months ago solo diving in 110 feet, I also wonder if redundancy might have been a factor in that accident.

FWIW, I MAKE my 11 yr old wear his pony, even in 12 feet of water when diving with me. I want him to learn one configuration in case something happens on a "real" dive. However, I'm not wearing one in open water in 30 feet.

Go ahead...there seems to be too many people on this planet anyway :) Beside the mechanical failures, a multitude of physical factors can cause you to meet your maker. I think it's selfish. Do you as a diver realize the pain your are going to put your friends and family through....not worth it my friend.

Putting ignorance aside, I think it's much more difficult to be a solo diver, too much you have to think about. How can you guys ever enjoy the dive?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom