Thinking to solo dive ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I occasionally solo dive. I had to learn to be self sufficient regarding insta-buddies on boats. I started at under 100 dives and after reading a lot and talking with mentors a lot. I have only soloed in sites I know very well, are easy to see new entanglement hazards and are within my training and ability levels. It would seem that around 100 dives would be a good common experience level to even consider solo but it depends on one's personality regarding readiness, gear care, resistance to panic, etc.

I would never be egotistical enough to say that i won't die solo diving but I do want to be able to have it honestly said that I was properly prepared, equipped and as careful as humanly possible before assuming the increased risk inherent in being down there, alone.

I carry redundant air supply (30cf pony, slung) three cutting tools, a spare mask and do everything I can to be safe. I am extremely cautious. For example, as Langley was mentioned above, once the "new" cement dock was added to the outside of the marina breakwater wall over the tire reef, I have chosen not to solo there without serious reconsideration as I now consider that part of my dive a "pseudo overhead" environment. My feelings on that may change but it demonstrates that I'm flexible even with familiar sites as to whether or not I still consider them a solo site for myself.

It's unfortunate that the accident victim at Seacrest, who appeared to be a very new/beginner diver was soloing without enough experience and equipment under his belt and likely beyond his current level of training. Not only does such an accident give solo diving a continued bad rap in the media, but it was probably (and tragically) preventable.

Thanks to his fiance' and friend who posted on the accidents and incidents thread for filling us in on the circumstances in order to help prevent a similar occurence. Please, again, if you're looking here, accept my sincere condolences as well as you, Matt.

Thanks Bob for this thread. Properly prepared for and trained for solo diving needs to come out of the closet in the 21st century.

Even with team diving if the team breaks down for whatever reason self-reliance should be there.

In a team situation, any diver should be able to perform any planned task. We split up tasks amoung team members because, in theory, there is increase capacity.
When accidents occur however solo diving is often mentioned as if it is the primary cause when in my opinion it usually isn't. Often divers with buddies engaging in the same behavior meet the same fate.

I think it's pretty common knowledge that divers are usually alone when they die on a dive. It should be common knowledge that they are usually buddy divers who failed to stay together rather than "solo divers".

I would never be egotistical enough to say that i won't die solo diving but I do want to be able to have it honestly said that I was properly prepared, equipped and as careful as humanly possible before assuming the increased risk inherent in being down there, alone.

This statement should apply across the board with every form of diving you are engaged in.

You know, we were talking today about the incident that sparked this thread, and this is what I came up with. You can take down redundant gas, redundant equipment, redundant computers . . . But all too often, the person who dies is found to have forgotten simple things like orally inflating a BC, or dropping his weights at the surface. This is because of a malfunction of the one thing a solo diver doesn't have two of -- His brain. THAT's what your buddy can do for you, in addition to reaching things like entanglements that might be very inconvenient for you to deal with. Your buddy will hopefully not be as frightened as you are by whatever bad thing is happening, and therefore may remember simple rescue procedures that might make a difference.

I don't condemn solo diving, although I don't do it, and won't. I have my own issues that make me want somebody with me on entrance and exit, if not in the water -- Plus, I love the team aspect of diving. But I think the thing you really need to know about yourself if you dive alone is how far you can be pushed and remain calm and thoughtful. If you haven't experienced a few mishaps underwater and had a chance to find out how you cope, I think it's taking a lot on yourself to believe that you will think methodically through whatever happens.

I have had the experience of being in the water with someone who grew up swimming and surfing, who felt entirely comfortable in the ocean, who had a fair number of dives under his belt (I think it was 40 or 50), but who completely lost it when he was faced with a simple problem he just had never had to deal with before. So I think most people would be much better off if they got a fairly large number of dives under their belts, and had a few problems and dealt with them, before they tried diving alone.

... So I think most people would be much better off if they got a fairly large number of dives under their belts, and had a few problems and dealt with them, before they tried diving alone.

I would agree with this as well although I think most solo divers do match that description. Certainly new divers have no business solo diving and most experienced divers have no business diving if they can't handle simple problems underwater without panicking and requiring the assistance of a buddy for simple things.

I think it's pretty common knowledge that divers are usually alone when they die on a dive.

really? I am sure you probably know better than I, but I would not have guessed that. Most of the divers I have seen/heard of die are heart attacks and they have a buddy. (unless you are counting freedivers)

really? I am sure you probably know better than I, but I would not have guessed that. Most of the divers I have seen/heard of die are heart attacks and they have a buddy. (unless you are counting freedivers)

Amen to this statement!

You know, we were talking today about the incident that sparked this thread, and this is what I came up with. You can take down redundant gas, redundant equipment, redundant computers . . . But all too often, the person who dies is found to have forgotten simple things like orally inflating a BC, or dropping his weights at the surface. This is because of a malfunction of the one thing a solo diver doesn't have two of -- His brain. THAT's what your buddy can do for you, in addition to reaching things like entanglements that might be very inconvenient for you to deal with. Your buddy will hopefully not be as frightened as you are by whatever bad thing is happening, and therefore may remember simple rescue procedures that might make a difference.

I don't condemn solo diving, although I don't do it, and won't. I have my own issues that make me want somebody with me on entrance and exit, if not in the water -- Plus, I love the team aspect of diving. But I think the thing you really need to know about yourself if you dive alone is how far you can be pushed and remain calm and thoughtful. If you haven't experienced a few mishaps underwater and had a chance to find out how you cope, I think it's taking a lot on yourself to believe that you will think methodically through whatever happens.

I have had the experience of being in the water with someone who grew up swimming and surfing, who felt entirely comfortable in the ocean, who had a fair number of dives under his belt (I think it was 40 or 50), but who completely lost it when he was faced with a simple problem he just had never had to deal with before. So I think most people would be much better off if they got a fairly large number of dives under their belts, and had a few problems and dealt with them, before they tried diving alone.

A good DPV is a great dive buddy.

It helps you get to and back from where you want to go.

It is something to hold onto.

It never leaves you.

I am liking my DPV more and more all the time. And human dive buddies less and less. And I am giving serious consideration to amending my lost buddy protocol. From now on, I just may change it to, "Meet me back onboard in about 45 minutes."

Pretty soon I will just have to give it a name, like Mr. X-Scooter, or better yet, just Mr. X.

:eyebrow:

A good DPV is great, until it quits. Then you might wish you had a buddy with a DPV, to haul your butt back from wherever your DPV got you :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom