Thinking of trying again - advice please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife had similar problems, and eventually she just decided that diving was not right for her.

Just remember that this is supposed to be fun - try not to put pressure on yourself to "succeed". Succeeding means having fun - if you are not enjoying it, then it is absolutely OK to walk away and do something else on your vacation.

Hi hbpurple,

I too had significant problems during my OW course and nearly quit half way through. I think if I had a course like yours (only a few days long) I probably would have not finished at all. I ended up doing a longer dive course (spread out over three weeks) and it included a lot of pool time and also eight dives. The theory to me was very easy but I struggled a lot with the practical skills such as mask clears and buoyancy. I have been a swimmer for a long time before hand so was comfortable in the water just not when I was submerged and breathing through a reg, it just felt very unnatural! With the extra pool + dive time I ended up passing and felt comfortable enough to continue diving. Anyway I got my certification in Feb 08 and have since done over 100 dives so I think if I can do it given how nervous I was at the start anybody who really wants to dive can overcome problems as well! :) So anyway, a few suggestions that might help (just based on my own experience):

-Perhaps look into a longer dive course locally where you do not have the pressure to complete it quickly and also don't have stresses like being on holidays and also being tired

-A private class might be worthwhile then you don't have to worry about what others are thinking and can take your time learning things. It is more expensive but I think is worthwhile in the end if you struggled the first time. However, if you can't afford a private one, don't worry about looking silly in front of others, the other students won't be judging you! I know I was too busy paying attention to learning myself that I have no idea how the other students were doing. I remember talking to a guy in my class a few months later about how nervous and terrible I felt I was in OW and he looked a bit puzzled and said he hadn't noticed, and that he was too busy trying to learn scuba himself :wink:

-Keep up with the snorkelling. One thing I found with mask clears is that I was breathing in through my nose and mouth at the same time so would inhale a lot of water when I had my mask off. I overcame this problem by practicing snorkelling without a mask on.

Anyway, *good luck* and I hope you can find a good course that can help you learn to dive :)

You aren't alone in being nervous. One of our most hardwired survival instincts is that we cannot breathe underwater, so you shouldn't feel bad about your fears.

In order to be more comfortable this time around, I suggest that you go slowly, step by step with the most patient instructor you can find.

When my wife decided to get certified, she took the course from the local college, as part of their continuing education program, because it had higher credibility. In reality it was taught by an LDS owner and his staff, but that's beside the point. She came close to dropping out at least 4 times during the pool sessions, but was willing to keep trying untilhe had her final break doing the free flow breathing excercise.

The only reason she's diving today is that her instructor called me and explained that in 20 years he had only one student drop out and that was years ago, and he'd do anything not to have a second. After lots of handholding and some cajoling by both of us she went back and worked with one on one with a patient trust inspiring instructor who took her through each problem one at a time.

That was about 7 years and 600 dives ago, and now she's a virtual fish.

The point is that if your fears can be cleared away one by one, you'll find that you can do this if you want to. What you want to avoid is trying to bull your way through and being overwhelmed when you hit a snag.

breathing underwater is not a natural act. except when you're in the womb. my wife had a similiar issue and actually the first time i had to flood my mask, i timed it wrong and got water in my nose and shot straight to the surface. after that i was fine. just had to train myself that coughing and all that is fine underwater because the air is there. had to convince myself that freaking out under water is fine, just calm yourself underwater and then move on. in fact, the first time i did my OW dive, i had to tow some dude out to the bouy (300m) and then make the descent. well everyone else's instructor helped them out a bit (kicking while being towed) but my guy decided to be a dick and he didn't do anything. he was probably like 300lbs and decided that he needed to have every single piece of gear he owned on during our test. so by the time i got him out there (btw, i also had a cold and turns out a fever of 101) we descended and when i got to the bottom, i was so exhausted, i couldn't catch my breath. i was practically hyperventilating but i remained calmed, signaled my instructor to give me a couple of minutes and just started breathing slowly and deeply. eventually i righted myself and proceeded with the test. once we surfaced i told him what was going on and he was proud that i kept a level head and was made an example of to the rest of the class.

You've had a lot of good tips.... I think that a lot of diving skills are (at least for me) really a matter of how you view the skills and diving in general, a "head thing", in other words.
I am neither particularly small nor weak, but I was convinced that the gear was simply too heavy for me for the whole first year I was diving. If my boyfriend hadnt been so patient and helpful with this I am pretty sure that I wouldnt have continued, as I have had back problems in the past.
But one day I simply took a look at all the people around me who were carying their own gear, and I decided that if I couldnt do this for myself then I shouldnt be diving. (This is only my opinion for myself; everyone knows needs to know and set their own limits!) Suddenly it was no longer so difficult, and once I became comfortable with the expectation that I would be carrying extra weight around I was able to do it pretty easily with really no problem.
Remember that diving is a whole chain of skills; when you allow yourself to master them one at a time instead of trying to force yourself to do everything all at once, you'll be fine. Good luck!

I would reiterate the advice to take an individual class. Get rid of the peer issues first; there will always be people in a class that 'get it' much faster than others. Take your time!

Spend as much time as possible in the pool. Even if you just sit on the bottom of the shallow end and breathe, the more time you spend in the pool, the better. If necessary, pay for additional sessions. When you can scuba in a pool with the same level of comfort as you can snorkel, you are probably ready for the ocean.

Consider doing your checkout dives anywhere else. See if you can work in a vacation to somewhere warm and clear. I am not familiar with all of the diving opportunities in that part of the world but I have been to the Maldives. I would HIGHLY recommend doing the checkout dives there.

Any time you can dive without a wetsuit and heavy weight belt, you are bound to be better off. You will have 81 deg F water and 100' visibility while diving in something as light as a Lycra suit.

None of your warm water diving skills will translate very well when you get back to cold water. But you will already be over the hump.

Richard

The next day I decided I didn't feel able to continue with the pool work - I was feeling very distressed and I suppose took the easy way out by not continuing. Instead, I completed the theory work and the instructor gave me a referral form (I think it is called) which would last for one year. In the meantime my other half completed his advanced qualification while we were out there. I found the how experience very pressured and while I'm sure most people can complete the whole thing in 4 or 5 days, I think I need a gentler way of learning.

This one is easy. You need a more laid-back shop that isn't interested in getting you in and out as soon as possible.

Call around and ask how long it takes to get certified if you're not very comfortable in the water. Keep calling until someone says "It takes as long as it takes."

Some people can learn to dive in a few days, some in a few weeks, a lot can do it in 7 or 8 weeks, however many people take a lot longer. I beleive our current shop record is three years. You want to find a place that will let you take classes and play in the pool until both you and the instructor feel really comfortable with your skills, and you think you're ready.

Terry

It took my wife 3 years from the time I paid for her lessons, to the time she did her OW qualifying dives. Even now our first dive of the year ends up being in 3-6 ft, while she get 'comfortable'. Once she gets comfortable, we have a good time. she won't go below 20 ft. but there is a lot to see at our local quarry at 20 ft and above, (there's more to see in 40 ft).
Keep plugging away, there's hope for you! :D:lotsalove:

One trick I teach for students who are apprehensive about the mask flooding is this. You say you can hold your breath and go underwater...so kneel in the shallow end of a pool with a mask on and take a breath...going just underwater. Flood your mask and then stand up. Do that a few times until its not as much of a shock. Take the next step in trying to purge the water out while doing the same. Eventually it will less stressful to the point where it almost feels natural. There, 1 problem solved. Now onto the next one. Go slow! Diving is meant to be FUN and the training should be also if done correctly. Good luck and enjoy the new world that awaits you...it isnt ours but they let us visit now and then!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom