Thinking of selling my older equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

heckofagator

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
About 10-12 years ago, I bought a bunch of equipment and used it about 5-6 times. Right after that, we were saving for a house and this hobby got put on hold. Fast forward to now, all of the stuff has been sitting in my dive bag and I’m trying to clear some stuff, so I’d like to sell this.

Zeagle Ranger BC
Apeks TX50/TX40
ScubaPro pressure gauge
Uwatec Aladin Pro Ultra computer

What I’m basically wondering if I should just try to sell this as a package, as is, or spend some time and money to get it all serviced, and then sell? Or could I get a bit more trying to part it out? Also curious on some price points you might start at?

I can’t find much on the Uwatec anymore and I’m sure you can get just as nice of computers for a fraction of the price now. I did find a link on here for a place that will replace the battery for around $50 – that’s not too bad. I just want to make sure I can even sell it for $50 :wink: I'm guessing the BC is probably the nicest thing I have.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/comments/suggestions.

The Aladin Pro Ultra is a very nice dive computer, my son has one and it came with batteries for life, don't know if this applies to all of the Ultras but it did on his. If you get the battery replaced I am sure you can sell it for $100 or more. The other items you have are all good and you should get a reasonable price. Do a search on Scubaboard classifieds to get an idea of what they are selling for. I see you are located in Florida, my suggestion would be to get out and dive.:D

Thanks for the thoughts. I called the shop where I bought it at and they said its $150 and they send it in. No mention of lifetime batteries, but I'm guessing my paperwork is long gone. But I look more into that.

Yeah, I've love to dive more but just want to get a few stand up paddle boards and kayaks for the family, so hoping to use this funding to kick me in the right direction. My fear is that I spend $200+ refurbing this stuff and don't get that cost back out when I sell.

In my experience:
1. You should be able to sell for between 25%-50% of the original price; 50% if you're real lucky.
2. Buyers seem to take into account the cost of needing to servicing equipment after they buy it. It would be a waste of your money for you to service before selling.

Save yourself $40. A quick google found this DIY for the computer battery:
DIY battery exchange - Aladin Pro Ultra

But I really want to say "screw the house payment.... Dive!"

Last edited:
I suggest selling them seperately and let the buyer(s) decide if they want multiple items.
Change the battery in the Aladin. It will show that it still functions and the electronics are not toast. If you make $25, so be it.
I tend to "clearance sale" my BC's and regs. The time it takes for delivery, pick up and the cost of service is not worth it to me. I need space more than $$. I'll put servicing on the buyer.

You will probably do better or at least sell easier by splitting things up. Odds are people will be interested in individual things, not the exact group of things you happen to have.

I would not service things, just state their condition and history. If I were buying from a completely unknown person I would not trust whatever they said about service anyway, and figure service into the equation. And some people buying used equipment service things themselves, so it does you no good there.

A computer that was working with a battery you said was new might be more appealing to me as a buyer - but if you do it yourself and it promptly leaks they will be complaining even if you said "as is."

I agree with the "go diving" sentiments. :wink: Most used dive gear tends to be worth less than you'd like.

I'm good with the selling separately - I think that's the way to go.

I was hoping it'd be ok not to service most of the stuff, so yeah, that's good too.

For $50, I'm thinking I may just send in the computer. While mechanically inclined, I have never soldered, so I think that's best left to them.

If you can get the battery changed for $50 it makes sense to get it done to show that it is working. If it is working with a fresh battery I will give you $75 for it plus shipping if you cannot sell it for more, I expect you will be able to though. I don't need it but I know I could find a new diver at the club who could use it.

will absolutely keep that in mind, grf88. :thumbs-up

I find eBay is a good source to determine how much something is really worth. Find your item, watch a few auctions until they close. Ignore the buy it now prices as they are meaningless if the item never sells.

Your uwatec as is just recently sold for as low as $25 and as high as $50. With a new battery upwards to $100.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom