Thinking of purchasing a GoPro ... please advise a newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UPDATE!

Just purchased through the fine people at Mako...

Was hoping they would install their free flat lense but they do not. Hoping it's easy to do. You are talking to the most unhandy, un tech saavy person on earth.

What are the best settings for shooting stuff? Talk 1080, R5, all the crap to me!

Thanks.

It is very easy to install - the key is to take your time and do not overtighten. They include step by step instructions.

With the dropin lens you want to shoot video in 1080 or else you will have to crop the vignetting out. R5 = 1080 - the back of the camera door has all the video settings.

With the dropin lens you want to shoot video in 1080 or else you will have to crop the vignetting out. R5 = 1080 - the back of the camera door has all the video settings.

1) Vignetting also doesn't occur in the 720 if you use the wide option (Mode 2 IIRC). I like that since there is enough noise due to lighting that I don't need the 1080 so the 720 saves me some disk space.

Perhaps it is different from the EOM to the Mako lens but I don't think it is. The manual itself gives some details for the different modes and from that you can figure out the best one to use.

Perhaps it is different from the EOM to the Mako lens but I don't think it is. The manual itself gives some details for the different modes and from that you can figure out the best one to use.

It is slightly different if you look at the images I posted in this thread you can see that. Both options though result in no vignetting at 1080p resolution.

Also, after you have installed the drop in lens it would be a good idea to do a test dive (or at least in the pool) with out the camera just in case :)

I think I am getting the GoPro bug. I think I would mount it on top of my camera housing so the stability question is answered. Now about light, I have an Ikelite DS-160 strobe which has a nice 3 watt modeling light, would a 3 watt light be enough for low light areas like inside of a wreck?

I would say it depends on how dark it is and the depth (available light). I have had mine around 100~ foot range with no light and it has performed well (see my videos) - but going inside a wreck you might want something a little more powerful.

I got mine with a MAKO lense and is seens to work ok, with no light,, Note sure about the light, it would
have to be pretty broad to illuminate the whole field of view.

Last edited:
I use a 15W with a similar cam (Zi8), and it's good for a few feet beyond close-up in caves. 3W would get you something - the vid cams seem to be pretty good with low light - but how far out is doubtful.

In a wreck it is a rare area where I would need to light anything past 6'/2M.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom