Thinking of going Commercial

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HAHA I would love to see a diver making that much money. Even my friend whos working SAT was only pulling in 90. Ive seen all the people that went to school with me that thought they were going to walk into a 100k a year job that arent working as divers. They did it for the wrong reasons and found out the hard way.

---------- Post added ----------

My full time boss has more toys then one man should be allowed but that is 35 plus years in the industry. A more realistic US inland diver pay is what i started at which was 200 a day, WHEN your working. I havent had full time work since March.

A more realistic US inland diver pay is what i started at which was 200 a day, WHEN your working.
$200/day? :shocked2: How long ago was that? The inland divers I know here in the Bay Area earn $800-$1000/day, if I'm not mistaken.

BTW- a single hull cleaner here with an established business can pull down $120,000/year.

Wow- those are some fairly respectable numbers! I had no idea. 'Course, that's $Canadian, so not quite as impressive :D

Actually thats US dollars, but we take a hit on the exchange now that canadian is pretty much par with the US. Your economy has gone down the ****ter sorry to say.

Anyone working in the US offshore is a chump. They have the biggest attitude, the least safe work environment and get paid the least. Anyone who sat dives for 90K a year deserves it :p. I have some good american friends that had their eyes opened when they came to asia. Damn near doubled their wage!! It took them a couple years to drop the cowboy bull**** but now they have seen the light.

The Gulf produces some of the BEST divers out there yet their home industry takes advantage of them and ****s them over yet most still fly that flag high.... Too bad.

Cam

FST- Here in NJ, unless you are Union you most likely wont be making 800-1000 a day.

I guess by your estimation, I'm a chump, as I've found myself working in the US Offshore industry from time-to-time. I cannot help but take exception to your comment of "the least safe work environment," as this just isn't true. All 'major commercial diving companies,' including Global Industries which I worked for (who merged with Technip last year to become the world's largest commercial diving business), have policies and procedures that do not vary from one country to another (although they are modified to meet any restrictions of the host country). The work environment is therefore constant and unsafe practices are just not tolerated. That said, I'm sure that there are a number of 'small contractors' who push the envelope. This does not however accurately reflect industry practice in the Gulf.

...Anyone working in the US offshore is a chump. They have the biggest attitude, the least safe work environment and get paid the least. Anyone who sat dives for 90K a year deserves it :p. I have some good american friends that had their eyes opened when they came to asia. Damn near doubled their wage!! It took them a couple years to drop the cowboy bull**** but now they have seen the light.

The Gulf produces some of the BEST divers out there yet their home industry takes advantage of them and ****s them over yet most still fly that flag high.... Too bad.

Cam

Anyone working in the US offshore is a chump. They have the biggest attitude, the least safe work environment and get paid the least.

Cam

I have never worked in the US, but I have this to say based on the fact that I work almost everywhere else - the North Sea Brit sector is probably the safest, and my favourite work place. The Persian Gulf and India are the worst in my opinion.

I do make more than 100,000 US$ a year :D

300,000 a year seems unlikely ... I dont know anyone who makes that much ... and here I was thinking I was one of the highest paid in the North Sea :confused:

---------- Post Merged at 11:50 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:30 PM ----------

Just pulled out my pay slips and calculated that I would have to do 267 days in Sat to make 200,000 pounds (approx) 300,000 USD.
Thats my union negotiated rate in the Brit North Sea.

---------- Post Merged at 11:51 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:30 PM ----------

Thats almost 2 years work for me.

650 to 750 a day for 7 months a year, 6 28 day sats a year at 35 an hour... do the math. Guys are making what your making on their day rate alone!

All I can say about the gulf,
No HRC
12 hour lock outs
two man teams
4 guys in the bin
300 foot gas dives
deep air diving
.... on and on and on and on.....

You are right, there are some sketchy places to work, but the funny thing is that the Gulf ranks up there with india and egypt where as the other civilized countries like Britain, Australia, canada set the standards. The States is in the company of third world nations for safety standards.

And I wouldn't exactly call Technip and Global a merger... lol... if it wasn't for the hurricanes Dory would have been out on his ass a LONG time ago. Its great that global is gone. Technip are a bunch of nannies but thats what the states needs.

Cam

...And I wouldn't exactly call Technip and Global a merger... lol... if it wasn't for the hurricanes Dory would have been out on his ass a LONG time ago. Its great that global is gone. Technip are a bunch of nannies but thats what the states needs.

Cam

Cam,

How long have you been in the trade? How many hours have you logged and where? Where are you getting your wealth of information?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom