Thinking of getting my AOW at Xcalak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

love2godeep

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking ahead a few months... have a free ticket to Cancun, and I'm thinking of returning to Xcalak and getting my AOW with XTC Divers.

Has anyone done this training with XTC? If so, how do you rate your training? Which specialties do you feel they handled the best? Which (if any) did you wish you hadn't taken there?

Thanks 4 your input!

Deep

love2godeep:
I'm looking ahead a few months... have a free ticket to Cancun, and I'm thinking of returning to Xcalak and getting my AOW with XTC Divers.

Has anyone done this training with XTC? If so, how do you rate your training? Which specialties do you feel they handled the best? Which (if any) did you wish you hadn't taken there?

Thanks 4 your input!

Deep

XTC is a good well run dive shop. I've never taken training from them myself but from my other experiences with them, I'm sure they would do a good job.

I'm all for getting proper training but out of interest, what do you get out of the Advanced certification that would make you want to do that instead of just going down there and diving? Unless you're working towards being a DM or instructor, or want to pick up some specialty (i.e. cave) my personal opinion is that once you've got the basics down, experience is the best teacher.

JK

http://www.mxtravel.com/xcalak.html
http://www.mxtravel.com/xcalak/Cielosazules/index.html

" I'm all for getting proper training but out of interest, what do you get out of the Advanced certification that would make you want to do that instead of just going down there and diving? Unless you're working towards being a DM or instructor, or want to pick up some specialty (i.e. cave) my personal opinion is that once you've got the basics down, experience is the best teacher."

This is what the advanced course does is give you experience and learning how to gain more experience. Some people like to be shown the way and it is not necessarily to go onto being DM or Instructor. In my opinion if you can get expert guidance from someone with a lot more experience this counts a lot to making good divers.

So far in my diving experience, I've been dumped off a boat and allowed to fend for myself. I don't have a cadre of experienced divers who can mentor me. I've learned a lot on this board, enough to know that I have a lot to learn.

If I could, I'd take every specialty they offer. I want better buoyancy and trim; I want to know the names of the fish and corals and sponges and other sea life. I want to be confident with my equipment. I have no interest in being a DM. I just want to learn. That's why I wanted input on whether the people at XTC are teachers.

I'm listening. . . .

In my area, some local dive boats won't allow OW divers on certain deep dives - a good reason to get AOW certification.

I was thinking of doing the same thing, but I decided I would prefer to do it in the more challenging environment of my home area - colder water, lower viz, more exposure protection. I figure it would be more helpful than doing it in perfect conditions then going home to dive in less than perfect conditions. MHO

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom