Thinking of diving Raja Ampat or Komodo.... need advice please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NakedDiver, yes it is possible to dive R4 from a land-based resort, but the area is huge, so a liveaboard can range further afield. If you'd like more detailed information (since I won't recommend one operator over another in a public forum), feel free to contact me via PM.

Hi Whale Rock!

Would be very interested in a list of LOB and also land-based diving for R4. Thanks for your help!

I've gone to Raja Ampat 4 times Oct, Nov, Dec and Jan. All seemed to be about equal in weather. Stay at the Sorido resort in the Papua area as I will this October and plan doing the PutiRaja LOB in 2012.

Scott is going on a LOB?! :)

LOL...LOL....I really want to do the Misool area and the PutiRaja works with Kri/Max so I can probably be picked up or dropped off at Sorido.

carolsarinah, there are several ways!
1) At the top of this page is the big banner header, then under that are a couple of rows of drop down menus. In the dark blue row, the second menu is Private Messages. Open that up and start from there.
2) If you know you want to PM somebody whose thread post you've read, you just click on their user name and you'll get a menu that includes Private Message as an option.
3) I hope you're going to PM me!

I'm also keen to go to Komodo at Christmas. Why is Christmas not the most popular time to go? Is the viz less or currents stronger?

Dived Raja Ampat last year. It was amazing, and would recommend a liveaboard. The one I went on was lovely by overpriced and single travellers weren't shown the same respect by the owners as couples. Specify your requirements up front with them.

If budget is not an issue have a look at Damai. Only 8 divers on the boat, individual rinse tanks for your camera, guide for each pair of divers and a level of service that you will not see on other boats. Not to say that service is bad on other boats, more that the level of service on Damai is exceptional. It does come at a premium price however. I did the trip because it was the only boat doing a longer trip starting when I needed to start. Arinui, Seven Seas and Paradice Dancer were options that did not work for timing but are boats that I was considering after doing research. Have done Paradise Dancer and was impressed by the boat - the diving from Damai was better but that was a function of the group of divers on the boat - there were some inexperienced divers so the sites selected were less of a challenge (minimal current).

Spent three weeks on Bali on the same trip - did very little diving and the little I did was nothing in comparison with Raja. Watch the rainy season if you plan to spend time in Bali. While not rained out, we did get a lot of rain early December last year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom