Thinking of buying a 'go pro' for Scuba Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am sure you know this; but, just in case. The camera is not water proof. You have to put it in the "underwater case". Pay extra special attention to the O ring and get it closed properly. I have already flooded one of mine and it was my fault.

I have a GoPro hero 3 + and it is ok for video and not so good for pictures especially with gloves. I built a stabilization rig out of PVC and a tripod mount and it works great underwater.

however I saw the news sea life camera that will be out in stores in a couple weeks and it was designed for underwater. Full LCD, large buttons for use with gloves, built in digital yellow and red filters, and much more...if you have not bought a gopro yet I would check it out. It is going to be about $400-499 but if you get a gopro, LCD backpack, enclosure, a couple filters etc your right there in price.

A GoPro is not the right tool to get consistently good still photos, but it does do video very well. If you want to take high quality video (rather than just record memories) and not spend too much extra money, then an LCD backpack, a red filter and a tray are required. Without video lights, you need good ambient light, this means staying shallow.

There is a lot of information out there regarding settings, my standard settings are 1080/50 fps. Something that is hardly ever mentioned is FOV. The default wide angle setting is great for large animals close-up, for everything else, I think the medium and narrow FOV is better as it makes your targets appear closer.

[video=vimeo;100580912]https://vimeo.com/100580912[/video]

I've done a lot of dives with other folks who use GoPro's. One of the advantages of the GoPro is the multitude of mounting systems available to use the camera. Pole mounts, head straps, trays w. handles, etc... take your pick. There's no shortage of accessories to make it a great choice for underwater video use.

The GoPro is undoubtedly going to be around for a long time. I suspect even more accessories will become available.

-AZTinman

I have a gopro hero3 black (NOT the+) that I mount onto one of the strobe arms of my DSLR setup.
I've not spent money on anything else than the handlebar mount for it as I got it for my RC stuff..
I saw a comment that the battery is not removable, something which in my experience is wrong - I've never seen a gopro where you can't...
dslr.jpg
(That wideangle port has since been replaced with an 8" modular)

Some videos shots during my photography, with no accessories, all shot at wide 1080p
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXX_PQE2_zv-VIRQSKUNDpOiUdRHEMvqo

P.S: Deepest Ive actually HAD the gopro as 33 meters and that was no problem. deepest in the videos above is 30ish meters

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom