Thinking about trying Mexico this year

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cancun does not even rate for diving
If you like bars and nightlife-Cozumel
If you want to the only divers as far as the eye can see
Pristine reef loaded with corrals and sponges five minutes from the beach
Nice dinner and a few drinks-MAHAHUAL
I have been diving people south of Mahahual for the last seven years.
If you want to dive Mahahual (Costa Maya) south of town, I'm your guy.
Ken,
Maya Palms Resort

You should also consider around the Sea of Cortez... I recently moved from Playa to Cabo San Lucas and I can honestly say the diving here deserves more credit than it gets.... This time of year the water is a bit cold 68f ish but over the summer months the waters warms up to the 80s and the visibility gets pretty good too.

Even at the moment we are regularly finding a selection on rays, seahorses, nudibranches and we frequently have sealions around.

Just to give you another option to think about :D

Given all the places you've been, I think it'd be nice to 'round it out' with a new area, especially one that's apt to be very good. On a cruise in January I got to make 2 dives in Costa Maya and 2 in Cozumel (the latter privately booked with Living Underwater, which I really liked; they've got 120 cf steel tanks & I'm an air hog). In Cozumel, I got to see a maybe 3-4' black (wasn't black; color phases vary) grouper, an eagle ray, a channel cling crab, a southern stingray, & I think this is where we saw the yellow stingray.

Main thing I'd heard about Cozumel, and it was true with us, is that there's current. It varies in intensity with different sites, and is said to contribute to the great viz. Cozumel is known for. At its best, it's coasting along without having to swim much. But then again you may have trouble 'pacing' the dive guide leading your group, and have to fight it a bit.

I really enjoyed Costa Maya & Cozumel both. My wife and my main dive buddy are so sea sickness-prone I've got a feeling Bonaire is going to remain 'our' destination, but I think you'll have a fine time in Cozumel.

Richard.

You said you wanted "the best place in Mexico for diving..." which is most definitely Cozumel. The next question is where to stay. The Cozumel Palace is one of the finest, the Iberostar, Allegro, and others are all-inclusive. Close to town the accommodations are more modest but having the center of town nearby is great for dining and nightlife.

The beaches are not great on Cozumel. If you want great beaches and fine resort service you'll want to move toward Playa del Carmen. Diving near Cancun is not good so you'll want to stay farther south near PDC or the Mayan Riviera.

Have you considered the Sea of Cortez. Rocio Del Mar Liveaboard spends the summer at the Northern Sea of Cortez then relocates to San Jose del Cabo for the winter months to run trips to the Socorro islands

Our website is Rocio Del Mar Liveaboard - eat, sleep & dive...The Sea of Cortez and the Socorro Islands

If you are interested on the Sea of Cortez all you need to do is fly into Phoenix and take the shuttle to Puerto Penasco. It is a 3 1/2 hour safe ride to the boat.

Hope to see you on board.

I'd stay in Akumal because everything is wayyyyyyy less expensive. Rent a car and drive. Do a day trip to cozumel or two, do the cenote's, hit the local reefs even though they are not the greatest... you never know what you're gonna find there.

You should at least compare prices between Playa, Cozumel and Akumal. /

My wife and I have dived both coz and playa. Like everyone else we love the diving in coz a little more than playa, but the resorts are far better on the mainland. since coz is a small island, all the hotels are miniature compared to on the mainland.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom