Thinking about getting started

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mascfa

New
Reaction score
I am thinking about getting started with Scuba. I have never dived before and I just got off the phone with a Divers Supply store to get started with getting certified. I was wondering if anyone can recommend any resources to check out to make sure that I am going to like Scuba before I invest a lot of money into it.

Thanks in advance.

Where are you located?

A few shops in my area have an "Experience SCUBA" night where for a small fee ($20 or so) they give you a brief intro and let you hop in the shallow end of a pool (with instructors, of course) and at least experience the gear. That's not a good test of what open water is like.

Also, many resorts in warm water will have a "Resort Course" which you can take and experience open water without purchasing equipment (but there are class fees etc).

I'm in the "same boat", so to speak, except I've done an intro dive, and now I'm hooked.

Welcome to SB!! :happywave Put us in your favorites and check in often. This is a great place to learn, compare, argue :argue:

Have you ever tried Snorkeling? If you like that, you'll love Scuba. But many don't really know until they complete the course. And I mean complete. Don't drop out until you've actaully graduated, or you'll never know.

Of course, it'll cost some money, but if that's a discouragement, then this sport wouldn't be for you anyway... :54:

don
:D

{Note to Drtherc: You are welcome to do your own Intro in this forum...?? }

I am located in Charlotte, NC. I was really just looking for some basic reading material about what to expect. I am pretty confident I am going to enjoy Scuba, but It can't hurt to read up on it first.

gj62:
Where are you located?

A few shops in my area have an "Experience SCUBA" night where for a small fee ($20 or so) they give you a brief intro and let you hop in the shallow end of a pool (with instructors, of course) and at least experience the gear. That's not a good test of what open water is like.

Also, many resorts in warm water will have a "Resort Course" which you can take and experience open water without purchasing equipment (but there are class fees etc).

Scuba is one of the most relaxing and exciting sports that an individual can get into. People are wonderful and not everyone can say they do it. It kinda still has the "WOW" factor to it.

Tell us where you are and I am sure that someone in your area will take your hand and lead you in the right direction. Yes it is expensive, but if you are anything like most of us, it is well worth the money.

Best of luck and let us know what happens please. Hope to see you among the certified (not certifiable) soon. :)

Welcome to to the underwater world. To get hooked just take some time to browse the photography gallery on the board. Some great stuff there. One look and you'll want to see it for yourself.

welcome aboard!

not time to waste. you will love diving. it's like nothing else on earth (well... er...)

:wink:

mascfa:
I am located in Charlotte, NC. I was really just looking for some basic reading material about what to expect. I am pretty confident I am going to enjoy Scuba, but It can't hurt to read up on it first.

This is a great site. It has all the information about scuba diving the you are afraid to ask,

www.scubadiving.com Go to the site and select training, start where ever you want and keep reading. the more you read the less likely your going to forget it.

Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom