Thinking about getting advanced/nitrox...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last edited:
@dmaziuk your image didnt come through

but thats a good idea -- just keep it on you instead of right on your mask

I was playing with the img tag trying to make it smaller than the entire screen. The new and improved SB software seems to have lost that ability... Now it's a clickable url.

Took a gamble and bought a Cressi, sight unseen, online. It looked like one my buddy had been very happy with, Choices of clear or black with trim colors, "corrugated" section instead of hard J. Purge valve on the bottom to let water out fast, and a slotted top with a gizmo in it to block water coming in. IIRC maybe $30-ish, not hugely expensive.

Yeah, I know, it sounds way too complicated, but the damned thing works well and breaths just as easy as my ancient plain J. Best of all, the strap clip is easy to slip on/off the strap of my mask, which I keep in a hard case, not just stuffed in the dive gear. (Main reason I stopped using a snorkel, PITA to keep assembling it, for something I rarely used.)

I finally went to a new snorkel that just hangs down (not a rigid J) and clips on the mask strap without a lot of fuss, after hearing Yet Another Fuhrer insist that I had to dive with one. Normally? Yeah, just more junk to foul my head and mask. If I want to breath at the surface, my BC has 50# of lift, it gets my head up well out of the water. And if I backstroke, with less lift, my face is still clear out of it.

Funny thing, the good lord made more than one place where a snorkel might be inserted.(vbg)
Nothing says you need to wear it on your mask at all times - tie it off to your BCD/tank straps with some bungie.

I should say that I have left it on the boat in the past only to regret it when the swell got up a bit

thats what i was thinking -- i hate having around my mask -- it always flops in my face when i go to turn my head so i end up diving w/o it most of the time

I feel "dry" valves are trying to suffocate me so mine's just a splash guard: IST Silicone Soft Flex Tube Snorkel at SwimOutlet.com
The quick-clip takes a little getting used to, and you don't purge it like the j-tube b/c of the valve -- that goes for any quick-clip purge valve snorkel.

Just gotta use the ole (IMG) (/IMG) tags.. Replace the ( with [ and the ) with ]

OneTigris-Tactical-Buckle-font-b-Carabiner-b-font-ABS-D-Ring-font-b-Grimloc-b-font.jpg

BB codes have the "=NxM" bit that's no workee no more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom