Thinking about getting a tank backpack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see that the XS comes with the webbing and buckles. For under $50 that is a good deal. And you can mount a wing to it or use a horse collar.

I see that the XS comes with the webbing and buckles. For under $50 that is a good deal. And you can mount a wing to it or use a horse collar.

Reviews say that it's uncomfortable and, more importantly, the buckles suck. They have no teeth and slip. Advice from buyers is that the price is too high, they are uncomfortable, and the buckles need to be replaced.

Ican'ttelliftheOxy is a hard pack or a soft pack. If it's a hard pack it really only needs one band to hold the tank in place.
If the Oxy is soft pack I think you would bebetter off with a blow mold plastic back pack like the XS.

I checked the specs more carefully and it says 2 cam straps, so ...

Why muck it up with the "Deluxe" harness?

Because for $15 more it comes with all the hardware I could concievably need. I doubt I could get the extra D-rings, stoppers, etc. for much less than that.

I'm waiting for Nemrod to check in before I order. If he has no cons I'll go with it.

The Oxy Travel plate is a soft plate, it will need two cambands. As would the VDH Universal plate:

IMG_20130111_230249.jpg

The metal plate will be more stable. You might consider military harness, there is a "travel" version that has cambands. I dived with the plastic single camband plates for years, bare or with a wing (old style wing) and they work fine and are stable and comfortable and cheap.

N

Last edited:
Because for $15 more it comes with all the hardware I could concievably need. I doubt I could get the extra D-rings, stoppers, etc. for much less than that.

Oh well, so much for streamlining.

Oh well, so much for streamlining.

Actually I don't think the chest cross strap gets in the way of streamline. Nor do the rest of what I would use.

Last edited:
The Freedom Plate suffered the woes of the recession and put me in a real spot a few years ago.
There have been some micro runs since but they were not advertised to the general public.
I'm considering starting up production this winter if all goes to plan, in response to growing demand.
However they are not near as cheap as old plastic back packs, but they are updated for all new wings, they are hand shaped, hand crafted, and will last forever. And they are stainless steel or aluminum so there are benefits there.
The Freedom Plate is the closest replica of a quality vintage plastic pack to date both in feel and function.

Last edited:
OK - another question. Diving no BC or wing - If I'm weighted perfectly at 500 psi I will be somewhat negative with a full tank. Beside a horse collar or snorkeling vest (don't want the front of the rig covered) is there any trick to make up for the buoyancy difference that can be bled off as the tank empties?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom