Thinking about getting a tank backpack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kharon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can anyone give me a comfort rating on using either the XS Scuba standard or deluxe tank backpacks? Also, any pros or cons on these products would be most welcome.

Note: I'm not considering a backplate or wing configuration. Totally beyond what I'm willing to pay. Just looking for a streamlined, light, inexpensive tank harness that I can use without a BC.

XS scuba one looks pretty much like the old school backpacks, except the cam strap is modern and improved from what we had. They are comfortable and stable in the water. The buckle on the shoulder allows very quick ditching of the pack in the water or on land.

Just like a BP/W, the shoulder straps are going to dig in and hurt if you wear the tank for any distance on land. Don't know what a deluxe is, but if you are just putting the tank on and jumping in the water, the basic pack is comfortable - especially if you are wearing a wet suit top. In a bathing suit or skin, a normal BC will probably be more comfortable.

A lot of shops may have the plastic plates in their junk pile for free. That said, I still recommend the VDH Universal Plate, the Freedom Plate and nothing keeps you from using an Oxy Travel plate without a wing. And then, their are the old military harness, Sea Hunt style, they work great for a simple no plate at all set up.

N

Can't find the Freedom Plate anywhere. With the VDH ($75) I still need a harness ($60 min) and 2 cam bands ($70). That comes to at least $205 versus the XS Scuba backpack at $45-$60. Pretty much the same for the OxyCheq Ultra Light Travel Travel plate ($65). I guess I'd lean toward the Oxy because it looks more comfortable.

I use a plastic back pack quite frequently, with and without a wing. They are comfortable, light weight and have handles that make lugging the tank around easier.
If you look around you can find these used but in great condition with the webbing, buckles and tank strap for under $50.
Aquatec has them complete with a wing attached for $298.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/262058716712?_mwBanner=1
I think you would be better off just getting the back pack cheap somewhere and then fitting a wing to it if needed. Although the bolt hole spacing is not the standard 11", many wings will still fit or can be easily modified to work. I use mine with a Zeagle wing and it works great.
s-l400.jpg

Just get the XS plate then. I think it will do what you want. N

Just get the XS plate then. I think it will do what you want. N

After looking a bit I'm thinking of the following - an OxyCheq Ultralight Travel Backpack ($52), a Dive-Rite Deluxe Harness ($55), and a standard cam band ($12) for a total of $119. Seems smarter than cheaping out on the XS plate. From looking at it, the OxyCheq only uses one cam band. Is that correct?

Ican'ttelliftheOxy is a hard pack or a soft pack. If it's a hard pack it really only needs one band to hold the tank in place.
If the Oxy is soft pack I think you would bebetter off with a blow mold plastic back pack like the XS.

Why muck it up with the "Deluxe" harness?

Amen to that. Webbing is inexpensive. All you need to complete the harness is a buckle and a couple tri glides and D rings. A deluxe harness is not an improvement over a standard harness IMO.
If you feel like you want more padding or pockets, etc. you can always upgrade and add them to the harness as you need them.

Back
Top Bottom