Thinking about doing my DM in Thailand (+)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think my biggest concern is not so much about the legality. I find that even though I live in Thailand, I find that I start to dive more and more outside of the country, generally in some places a bit less accessible where there are not a hundred divers in the water at the same time.
Every time I go back to the Similan or Richeliue, I get more depressed at seeing number of divers and deterioration of the sites.
I just feel that if immigration can crack down more efficiently on dive operators who hire DMs with no work permits then there would be less capacity to take divers to all those sites. While this may drive the price up, I think I am willing to pay the price for the better quality dives rather than having the ability to pay less and dive more often under a less desirable condition.
I guess it is kind of a convoluted reasoning.

ssra30:
While this may drive the price up, I think I am willing to pay the price for the better quality dives rather than having the ability to pay less and dive more often under a less desirable condition.
I guess it is kind of a convoluted reasoning.

It's a fair point, it could be argued that deterioation of koh tao's reefs in recent years is due at least in part to the huge umber of divers going through the island every year.

The other point people like myself who go there to teach primarily as an add-on to a holiday have to remember, is that there are dm's and instructors trying to eek out a living whilst staying there long term.

One of you two needs to change your avatar - it looks like you are arguing with yourself :D I'll be fair and take minor offense to something each of you has said:
Dorset - I know why you do your vacation like that. It's a great idea for you but it is a tad illegal and it probably takes some money from the professionals working at the place.
ssra30 - you get depressed "every time" you go back to the similans because there are too many divers there? Cut back on the numbers by letting someone else go there! :D
(I checked and at least my first comment is still on topic)

Zippsy:
One of you two needs to change your avatar - it looks like you are arguing with yourself :QUOTE]

can just see both sides of the argument! lol.

As for being illegal, I wont be losing to much sleep about it.

ssra30:
Every time I go back to the Similan or Richeliue, I get more depressed at seeing number of divers and deterioration of the sites.
If you really feel that way perhaps you should remove the:
"Visit our club for information about diving in Thailand"
signature line

Sorry, couldn't resist...now back to our regularly scheduled thread...

NJDiveGirl,

I'm an NJ Dive Guy but now long-time settled in Asia.

I recommend BuddhaView Divers on Koh Tao. Good set-up, pretty inexpensive, unlimited diving for DM candidates, quality instruction. Have a look at their Web site, http://www.buddhaview-diving.com/. If you would like, I can introduce you via e-mail to one of their course directors. I am doing my IDC Staff Instructor program there in April.

I hope this is helpful.

SinoScuba

Glub:
If you really feel that way perhaps you should remove the:
"Visit our club for information about diving in Thailand"
signature line

Sorry, couldn't resist...now back to our regularly scheduled thread...

Well, getting information does not always mean positive information only. Also just because I have certain negative views, it is not the only view share by other members in my local club.

Zippy, I thought I already stated that I seemed to dive more and more outside the country hence I am not crowding the local overcrowded dive site :whack:

Alright, I think I got sidetracked, what's the acutual topic of the thread? :wink:

deleted message - I can't read :(

travelem:
Yes, Samui/Koh Tao isn't as good as Phuket/PP. And I would for sure avoid Pattaya!

I just did my Advanced there and it is well known for wreck dives. I did my Open in Koh Samui and had 30 meters visibility which was a real treat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom