Thinking about diving the BH - 1st timers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2ODoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Got certified a few years ago, and have only done nice, warm, tropical, palm-tree, vacation-type diving. Coz, Belize, Bonaire, Hawaii. :cool2:

Now that I'm an addict, I'm thinking we should explore some local dives that don't require a $4000 vacation to get wet.

But.... I'm not sure the wife and I would like it. The BH looks neat with great vis, but is it worth the drive from metro Denver? I know that's a tough thing to answer for someone other than yourself, but what makes the BH worth the drive?

Diving is better than not diving.

I enjoy diving in New Mexico.

Looking at my log book - I have a lot of local dives.

Rock Lake New Mexico 76
Blue Hole New Mexico 42
Aurora Res Colorado 16
Kingfisher Pond Colorado 12
Perch Lake New Mexico 3

It's been a while since I dove the BH. But looking at the log book, the most memorable dives were done with a purpose.

So that's my suggestion: Find a class that will expand your skills and take you there -- with friends. Advanced or Rescue diver classes would be great.

Diving is better than not diving.

Good point. I could sit in the bottom of a pool and enjoy the dive. (minus the band-aids and hairballs, of course).

g2 - another good idea - get me some more skills.

Thanks gents.

Enjoyment of dives at BH depends alot on who you are with, weather, and how many other divers are there. I find that the diving is best Feb-May (as long as the spring winds are not blowing) and Sept-Nov for those reasons. Summers are warm but always crowded, and I hate that.

My last video there shows you what it is like when there are only 2-3 other divers and weather is mild and sunny:
[vimeo]16897024[/vimeo]

Is it worth the drive from Denver area? I say yes but...
Your wife would enjoy it under those conditions I mentioned most likely. I would just make it a weekend, pack of a cooler full of yummy food to eat there, take blankets and sunscreen because you never know the weather conditions, and check it out. The restroom facilities there are not very clean but functional. There are several hotels with decent rates but only a few restaurants. Not a nice vacation spot, but very cheap as others mentioned.

robin:D

That's the video that got me thinking "hey - maybe the BH is worth doing"
:D

Watch the weather, although the water temp is constant the SI's when it is cold and windy are not enjoyable. If you pick on of those sunny, clear days (and there are plenty in NM), then it can be a very relaxing.

While the B/H can be explored in a single dive or two, if you are staying overnight and do a night dive it is a completely different experience. If you avoid the coldest months, Perch Lake is a nice change of pace and only 10 minutes away. In any case, you can't beat the ease of entry/exit and no cleanup from diving clean fresh water.

The B/H has never been on any ones top 10 dive list, the payoff from the regular diving is when I hit the ocean, I am 100% confident in my skills.

I have a LOT of dives a the BH. I generally go about 6 times a year as I always get the ich to dive, and there is really not much to scratch it with other then Santa Rosa, or a bunch of $$$/Travel.

I also enjoy Perch Lake quite a bit, and have a bunch of dives there as well. One tip with Perch, Rim it! Vis can get quite bad in the summer, but if you stay around 30~45' in the weeds around the rim, the dive tends to be more enjoyable. There are a lot of funky rock formations in Perch, and there are a bunch of fish.

Rock Lake is an interesting dive, but access is rather restricted (think training classes). It is close to 300' deep, and the walls are near vertical. There are sponges in both Rock Lake and Perch Lake.

All three lakes are fed from below, and they all stay well above freezing year around regardless of the outside temps with BH having hardly any temp variation throughout the year.

The best way I find to justify the trip is to enjoy the trip. Go down and room with people you enjoy (my wife does not dive, but yours does!). We generally have a few beers or mixed drinks in the evening, and stay up gabbing.

Don't plan on a rigid schedule.... just go with whatever happens. We don't generally get to the Hole much before 9:00am, IOW's we sleep in a bit. If the hole is crowded, we sometimes immediately go to Perch. We tend to do night dives both nights, and those IMO are the most enjoyable of dives.

The Hole is going to be the most crowded between 8am~2pm Saturday, and 8am~11am Sunday. If we are lucky, we may be by ourselves in the Hole on Friday evening, and that is NICE! It also happens a lot more in winter then other times.

The BH is empty for the most part on weekdays with the exception of Friday evening. Air could be an issue as Stella only works weekends in general. Sunday afternoon is also a good time, as it is empty for the most part.

If you want to do training, go for it! I am kinda done with training for the most part unless I decide to go Pro, or Tech. All my diving at BH is for enjoyment, and very few folks make that claim. 95% of the people there are students, DM candidates, or instructors.

Exposure protection is an issue at all three lakes. Most I know that dive these with any type of regularity do so dry. A 7mm is adequate for any Santa Rosa lake at any time of the year, but Surface intervals can get quite cold in a wetsuit in the winter.

Don't expect too much, and you will never be disappointed.

Very good info. I'll try to plan a trip in Feb/Mar. Probably rent a 7mm full suit and just play it by ear. I'll have to read up on Perch Lake as well. Maybe dive on Sat and drive up to Santa Fe after that with the wife? Doesn't appear to be a major altitude gain between Santa Rosa and Santa Fe.

Very good info. I'll try to plan a trip in Feb/Mar. Probably rent a 7mm full suit and just play it by ear. I'll have to read up on Perch Lake as well. Maybe dive on Sat and drive up to Santa Fe after that with the wife? Doesn't appear to be a major altitude gain between Santa Rosa and Santa Fe.

Depending on your Size, I'd be happy to loan you a bare 7mm suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom