Thinking about a 60 foot snorkel….

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whats a snorkle? :idk:

A submarine snorkel is a device that allows a submarine to operate submerged while still taking in air from above the surface. Its common military name is snort.

Until the advent of nuclear power, submarines were designed to operate on the surface most of the time and submerge only for evasion or for rare daylight attacks. In 1940, at night, a U-boat was safer on the surface than submerged because ASDIC sonar could detect boats underwater but was almost useless against a surface vessel. However, with the continued improvement in methods of radar detection and attack, as the war progressed, the U-boat was forced to spend more and more time underwater running on electric motors that gave speeds of only a few knots and with very limited endurance. A submarine that stayed underwater for more than a few hours also encountered various disposal problems and had to store garbage internally, further fouling boats already notorious for their odors.

DC

Once, just once, can't we persuade someone to try this on video before we tell them the answer. It just takes all the fun out of it when they're given the right answer straight away... :wink:

ok... I understand boyle's law.... I understand all of the difficulties of this idea being possible... but the more I think about it, the more it seems realistic…

#1 - Exhaust valve
#2 - If the snorkel is made of hard plastic, the ambient pressure won't be transferred to the air inside. If it's made of soft plastic, the snorkel will collapse. But what if it's made of a softer to an increasingly harder material as you go down in depth. Just enough so that it doesn't collapse and just enough to have ambient pressure transfer to it….

ok guys, try and kill my genius idea now!

I have trouble handling my 6 foot hose! I couldn't imagine a 60 foot

ok... I understand boyle's law.... I understand all of the difficulties of this idea being possible... but the more I think about it, the more it seems realistic…

#1 - Exhaust valve
#2 - If the snorkel is made of hard plastic, the ambient pressure won't be transferred to the air inside. If it's made of soft plastic, the snorkel will collapse. But what if it's made of a softer to an increasingly harder material as you go down in depth. Just enough so that it doesn't collapse and just enough to have ambient pressure transfer to it….

Be sure to video tape your attempt and post it to YouTube.

try it ill show up to recover the body. why ? really? you should have learned that in open water

#1 - Exhaust valve

We'll give you the exhaust valve part. that will easily eliminate the dead air space problem. A couple of well placed mushroom valves can keep the air fresh.

As for the tube, if it opens to the water then water will fill it from the bottom up as water seeks it's own level. The hardness of the material won't have an effect on this. I would be concerned that if you were to plug the mouthpiece with your tongue, it followed by the rest of you would be pushed up the tube.:shocked2: Obviously not much of you will fit but your tongue could get into real trouble. It's somewhat analogous to issues with early hard had diving rigs.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom