Think I Bottomed Out at 300' on OC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know if a RB is in my future, and you still need to carry bailout,
Yeah but unless you actually bailout that gas is still there for next dive:D

I'd be interested to know if anyone is doing regular dives beyond 300' (non-commercial), and if so, on OC or RB?

I don't know about regular but I am working up to 400' cave dive on RB

Last edited:
Rick, A few of the guys who dove the Portland did it on OC. The whole dive is mind boggling.[/url]
460' - "twice the depth of the Doria". Yeah, that's a serious dive.

I don't know about regular but I am working up to 400' cave dive on RB
Can you tell me, what gases will you carry (or drop) besides your RB? Will you carry bailout for a team, or for each diver? What bottom times do you expect to have, and what total run times?
Thanks!

Well kids, I just did a 300' dive, and I think that's about the bottom for me on OC. All that gas, all those bottles to haul around for such a short bottom time... For me, I think I hit the effort/return/risk limit. I don't know if a RB is in my future, and you still need to carry bailout, but it seems that anything deeper just isn't for me unless something changes.

I'd be interested to know if anyone is doing regular dives beyond 300' (non-commercial), and if so, on OC or RB?

Congrats, Rick.

The un-fun range on O/C seems to be 250 fsw to 350 fsw. Within that range, O/C is more work than fun.

And beyond that, you would definitely be in the range of CCR.

I know people who have switched to CCR well before that, and some of them whom I knew are no longer living. I do not trust CCRs, but that is just my personal view.

I also don't trust golf on a stormy day, nor mountain hiking or backpacking on a stormy day, nor freediving in GWS waters, nor hunting for grizzly bears.

The thing I like about O/C in the range of 250 fsw to 350 fsw is that it is relatively safe, at least when compared to CCRs; because with O/C the gas mixture that you put in is the gas mixture that comes out when you breathe it, every time.

The un-fun range on O/C seems to be 250 fsw to 350 fsw. Within that range, O/C is more work than fun.

That is just silly.....'work' it is know doubt.... but you HAVE to be enjoying it (fun) or you had better back off the dives totally as you are approaching them in the wrong frame of mind. Remember that these profiles are formal in approach and part of the enjoyment received is the prep and carry throw.

Remember that these profiles are formal in approach and part of the enjoyment received is the prep and carry throw.

Reading this made me smile, as I remembered chatting with my friend Mo2vation one night about some friends I have who had gone head over heels into tech diving. I said it seemed to be as much about the execution of the dive as the dive itself, and he said, "Oh, it's all gasturbation!"

Can you tell me, what gases will you carry (or drop) besides your RB? Will you carry bailout for a team, or for each diver? What bottom times do you expect to have, and what total run times?
Thanks!

Last time we staged al80s of:
100, 50, 36/20, 21/35, 15/45, 10/50 plus we each carried 8/70 throughout the dive. Bottom time was 20 minutes and run time was 3 hrs. Next time we will probably tweak the mixes a bit and I would like to have each diver carrying O2 as well.

Man, you have to want to see something real bad to do two hours and forty minutes of deco for a twenty minute bottom time . . .

Last time we staged al80s of:
100, 50, 36/20, 21/35, 15/45, 10/50 plus we each carried 8/70 throughout the dive. Bottom time was 20 minutes and run time was 3 hrs. Next time we will probably tweak the mixes a bit and I would like to have each diver carrying O2 as well.
"Oh, it's all gasturbation!"
:rofl3:

Well, I guess you can count me in as one of those who like the process as much as the dive itself. Because, reading your list of gasses... that just sounds like a lot of fun!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom