Things you are (almost but not really) ashamed of doing while diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ouch! Please pardon me…I didn’t mean to be arrogant (blunt, sure, but not arrogant). It’s the divers I’ve seen carrying them (Red Sea) so consider my observation a limited sampling. I didn’t say all divers that carry them. Again, didn’t mean to be arrogant.

Ouch! Please pardon me…I didn’t mean to be arrogant (blunt, sure, but not arrogant). It’s the divers I’ve seen carrying them (Red Sea) so consider my observation a limited sampling. I didn’t say all divers that carry them. Again, didn’t mean to be arrogant.

In NJ, you have to carry a redundant air source. Pony or doubles. No choice.

@JimBlay - award one point to Mr. Blay for perceptiveness.

I dive twinsets with clown gas.

I’ve never understood the whole pony bottle get up, slung or mounted. Maybe I’m a country bumpkin but I’ve never seen a diver using a pony bottle that had planning or UW chops I wanted to emulate. It’s always been guys who are crappy divers throwing an equipment solution at a skills problem or those who want to appear technical but really aren’t. Sorta like an UW woobie.

That much said, I’m not an instructor so there very well could be a situation if I were that I would be trumpeting the advantages of a pony bottle.

Haven’t gotten around to training with my SM rig yet. Laziness really. Working on some 3-4 hour coastal dives with scooter out of Lauderdale-by-the-Sea so I might get off my duff and train so I can leverage the more streamlined profile.
And some of us carry ponies for redundency as part of the solo mind set that doesn’t rely on buddies…and has the UW chops to do it without the need for full doubles.:wink:

@JimBlay - award one point to Mr. Blay for perceptiveness.

I dive twinsets with clown gas.

I’ve never understood the whole pony bottle get up, slung or mounted. Maybe I’m a country bumpkin but I’ve never seen a diver using a pony bottle that had planning or UW chops I wanted to emulate. It’s always been guys who are crappy divers throwing an equipment solution at a skills problem or those who want to appear technical but really aren’t. Sorta like an UW woobie.

That much said, I’m not an instructor so there very well could be a situation if I were that I would be trumpeting the advantages of a pony bottle.

Haven’t gotten around to training with my SM rig yet. Laziness really. Working on some 3-4 hour coastal dives with scooter out of Lauderdale-by-the-Sea so I might get off my duff and train so I can leverage the more streamlined profile.
When diving backmount, I dive with a pony. It's not for the purpose of impressing anyone, but rather more for the purpose of not relying on anyone else, and not dying if something goes wrong.

I'm also getting into sidemount for the redundancy, but also for the extra air, streamlined rig, and various other benefits. Should anyone be impressed or try to emulate me? Don't know, don't care.

Things you are ashamed of doing while diving ?? Well, not while diving, but I did read most of the "Qualifications of a DM" thread. I am so ashamed.

So, spending too much time on scubaboard? Hey! I feel attacked! :poke:

Maybe because that was not at all the point of this thread. But you are right. I become safer day after day :)

Dody you assume as you do more diving you become safer day by day. You should not assess that yourself only. I would suggest you ask an instructor to do some deep dives with you while your wife can be at 30m with another buddy. Go to 40m and then slowly ascend keeping your NDL to say 2 minutes to 40m then 38m then 35m then 33m etc etc You can do this until 20m where you still get low NDL.

Then try to stay at a few minutes to NDL even at 20m then come to 15m for the rest of the dive. See how long your time is to say 60 bar then ascend to 5m, do a longer 5 minute safety stop. This is better than just doing a bounce dive to 40m. Perhaps later on do some 32% nitrox dives to 30m and dive at that depth till say you get to 5 minutes NDL then ascend slowly and again do a 5 minute safety stop when you are at your " I stop diving at 50 bar" personal preference. Don't forget to make sure your guide and buddies know this as well. You can do these 30m dives with your wife or others. You will then get a better idea of your gas consumption. You said you have gone a from 15l/min down to 8l/min. You might find out with dives like this your sac rate is different to what you think it might be now.

Bounce dives to 40m you can get comfortable with but trying doing some dives where you stay deep watching your NDL.
At times there are dives where I go to 35m - 40m but they are planned as there is something I want to see and usually make a video of. One of them was red toothed trigger fish at 38m I have posted a video of previously. Being able to be at depth, take video, pay attention to where my buddy was, make sure I paid attention to NDL ( people taking video can often not pay attention ) and checked my air. They are fun dives which can be done safely.

40 m is not always the seabed although it can be. Downcurrent is irrelevant to the post as it can happen anywhere at anytime and at any depth. I have plenty of gas, my buddy is watching me and I am watching her. If a down current happens, I (theoritically) know how to react but I have never experienced down currents yet. And I have never noticeably experienced narcosis.
So your DM and buddy watch you descend to forty meters? From 30m? You haven’t “noticed” being narc’d, does that mean you’ve never been narc’d or you ha just never realized you were narc’d? You haven’t been caught in a down current, but know what to do, except, you aren’t sure if you are narc’d?

When you get caught in that down current, unaware you are narc’d and your buddies are 10 meters away and getting farther and you’re heading towards 50 meters, are you going to grab the wall and climb back up or swim into the void to escape the current? What is your narc’d brain going to tell you to do? What is going to happen to your air consumption at the moment you realize you f***ed up?

Last week you were saying what a bad buddy you were to your wife because you let her be led into a swim through and you got trapped in the rocks because you were under weighted. Now you are saying you have an uncontrollable urge to leave your team and do a bounce dive to 40 m?

I am smelling troll bait….

My guess is they are being facetious and are referring to doubles.
I said sidemount or twinset and was being deadly serious.

The only use case for diving with a full size ali80 redundant cylinder which is not used during a dive except in emergency (commonly on scubaboard is referred to as a pony) is when diving a rebreather when it would be referred to as bailout.

Independent backmounted twin cylinders is another use case but is a poor solution as you normally cannot manipulate the left hand valve when worn.

So your DM and buddy watch you descend to fort meters? From 30m? You haven’t “noticed” being narc’d, does that mean you’ve never been narc’d or you ha just never realized you were narc’d? You haven’t been caught in a down current, but know what to do, except, you aren’t sure if you are narc’d?

When you get caught in that down current, unaware you are narc’d and your buddies are 10 meters away and getting farther and you heading towards 50 meters, are you going to grab the wall and climb back up or swim into the void to escape the current? What is your narc’d brain going to tell you to do? What is going to happen to your air consumption at the moment you realize you f***ed up?

Last week you were saying what a bad buddy you were to your wife because you let you her be led into a swim through and you got trapped in the rocks because you were under weighted. Now you are saying you an uncontrollable urge to leave your team and do a bounce dive to 40 m?

I am smelling troll bait….
Here we go again. Some people are really mono-maniac. Please read the initial question or don’t answer at all. This is not the subject.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom