Things to know before buying tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SVT_Tactical

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Newer diver. Closed DS is an hours drive. Know I'm going to stay with the sport and want to pick up tanks to have. My thought process is it takes an hour each way to go pick up rental and drop off. With the cost of gas and daily rental fee I'd be better off purchasing. My research leds me to believe steel is better than aluminum for most. The LDS has steel low pressure tanks for $299 each right now, size was 97cu? I think. I plan on getting two so I have them when the opportunity arrises to go diving and then I'll get them filled next trip that way instead of a special trip. Any suggestions? Am I looking in the wrong direction? Guideance?

FYI - recreational use only.

If your sticking to rec depths and diving, then why not just use the two alu 80? Cheaper and I think lighter in weight.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

All I can find say that steel is easier to maintain and last longer.... I know I'll get some comments that al is just a durable but I don't mind the extra weight. If i can loose some soft weight and go for more tank weight I'm all for that.

Plus I have read that its more consistant with your buoyancy with steel as it doesn't change as much as you use up the air.

Absolutely no reason to buy tanks new instead of used, although some shops offer free air fills for life. Rent tanks until you find what works for you. Weighting is very different between Al 80 and steels. Also air consumption will determine size you want.

After the discussion here, if you decide on steel, I have 2 HP 100's for sale. PM me if interested.

I'm kind of an air hog right now being newer. What size do ya'll recommend?

---------- Post added August 22nd, 2013 at 05:15 PM ----------

With me having yoke setup 1st stage would the HP tanks require DIN? Not sure how that works

steel tanks are great, but aluminum is easier to maintain (no rust) and are what you will find when you travel. Unless you need more than 80 cu ft, aluminum is probably your best bet.

Air hog should go away in time. I started diving with a SAC greater than 1. I'm now less than .5.

all that changes as you use up the air is the weight of the air in the tank. that's no different for steel vs alu. I own steel but don't see a maintenance advantage. you'll also see that quite a few people have had steel tanks fail hydro - sometimes because the hydro facility did not follow required protocol. However, that does not help you one bit. Once they failed they are done. It makes for an expensive and oversized paper weight. the reasons why i own steel tanks anyway is greater volume and less buoyant. the latter point is especially valid when diving dry. steel doubles when not diving dry are considered a pretty bad idea by many if not most. too much non-ditchable weight on your back without a redundant source of buoyancy (ie no drysuit).

No steel tanks are as hard or harder to maintain and no the buoyancy swing does not depend on the material of the tank but rather the weight of gas that you consume

I'm kind of an air hog right now being newer. What size do ya'll recommend?

---------- Post added August 22nd, 2013 at 05:15 PM ----------

With me having yoke setup 1st stage would the HP tanks require DIN? Not sure how that works

If you plan on buying your own tanks defiantly go with DIN. That way later on down the road if you decided to do something more technical it's one thing less to buy. As far as the tanks each (aluminum and steel) has its own set of pros and cons as others have mentioned. I would compare your needs as a diver to that and make your decision, but again also keep in mind of what you may be interested in in the future to avoid buying twice.

Back
Top Bottom