Things Scuba Instructors teach that are either bad or just wrong.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We all know that pizza isn't Italian, it is actually an American dish. The best pizza in the world is found in the US!!!!
But now we need to have a debate about WHERE in the US the pizza is the best.
I nominate somewhere in North Beach in San Francisco, or somewhere in NY city. I’ve never been to NYC but I hear the pizza is pretty damn good.

Edit: just found this:
Una Pizza Napoletana by Anthony Mangieri in New Yorkhas been named the Best Pizzeria in the USA for 2022 by 50 Top Pizza. Tony's Pizza Napoletana by Tony Gemignani in San Francisco takes second place.Jun 15, 2022

Just saw a video on YouTube that the dive shop owner mentioned why long ago turning quarter turn back an open tank valve was right. It was to prevent rust from water intrusion on the valve. The way they are made now it is not to be done. Although it was also mentioned to open or close valve it ought to be able to be done using just a few fingers. Any over tightening using the additional palm would mean the valve needs attention. So this on my next dive or test breath on regulator I have forgotten it. Problems with some one messing with my gear an shutting off valve never happened to me. An righty tights lefty loosy I know. The documentary of the Lusitania, with divers using helium mix had verbal communication from above explaining about directions on this old adage. Seems for a while divers only heard left the Lucy, due to the frequency distortion with helium! Could be joked about after divers were back up top.

… Air2 …..
… it beats carrying an extra hose and regulator
Disagree. It’s an awful kludge compared with a good quality regulator set, also a bulky and poor BCD inflator and dump.

Find it rather odd that you don’t use quality standard regulators which would be serviced together and encourage sharing, for example, if a buddy is low on a safety stop.

It’s an awful kludge compared with a good quality regulator set, also a bulky and poor BCD inflator and dump.

This may have been true of the older, 20 years or older, Air II types but not current offerings form Atomic and SP.

Disagree. It’s an awful kludge compared with a good quality regulator set, also a bulky and poor BCD inflator and dump.

Find it rather odd that you don’t use quality standard regulators which would be serviced together and encourage sharing, for example, if a buddy is low on a safety stop.
@Wibble

It’s interesting the discussions either way on this. I had logical reasons to change from an octopus to an air2. Then had logical reasons to change from an air2 to an octopus.

The reasons to change from an octopus to an air2

1. The ABLJ had an optional extra of a direct feed that was fitted between the ABLJ mouthpiece and the hose. The connection between the mouthpiece and direct feed was not perfect and the mouthpiece would sometimes come off.
2. The octopus had a tendency to hiss and drag in the muck.
3. Had just acquired a decent 2nd hand regulator to replace the scabby spiro and it didn’t have a octopus.
4. Had just got myself a drysuit and the first stage only had 3 lp ports. At the time didn’t fancy additional adaptors on top of the 1/8 to 3/8 adaptor.

The use of an air2 resolved all of those issues. Was the air2 (mk2 version) more bulky? No as it was shorter but slightly fatter. Was always removed from the ABLJ and serviced with the regulator. It should also be noted that the training at this time for air sharing was buddy breathing and no training for octopus use. Also was taught to use the drysuit for buoyancy control.

So why change back to an octopus?
1. Invested in a jacket style BC. The connection between the direct feed and mouthpiece was much improved and didn’t fall apart. There was plastic D rings and Velcro to hold things to like an octopus.
2. Started to get involved with training. There was a tendency to press the air2 purge instead of the deflate during a controlled buoyant lift. Having oddball kit didn’t really work.
So bit the bullet got an octopus and T piece to fit it too. My present regulator has 4 Lp ports at 3/8 so no adaptors required.

would I change back to an air2? Unlikely.

Octo had a tendency to drag in the muck? That’s diver error letting your octo drag.

Danglies are Very Bad and it’s seems a lot of instructors don’t give a flying **** from all the danglies I’ve seen at Midwestern quarry.

The obvious solution is to put the alternate on a bungee and have it hang below your chin. You donate your primary and take the alternate, as you would with an Air II. That is standard for tech divers. I was using that for tech gear but still using the standard alternate for recreational dives when I read about a woman who drowned when she went OOA and went to her buddy for his alternate, only to find that it had come loose and was dangling somewhere behind him.

@Wibble

It’s interesting the discussions either way on this. I had logical reasons to change from an octopus to an air2. Then had logical reasons to change from an air2 to an octopus.

The reasons to change from an octopus to an air2

1. The ABLJ had an optional extra of a direct feed that was fitted between the ABLJ mouthpiece and the hose. The connection between the mouthpiece and direct feed was not perfect and the mouthpiece would sometimes come off.
3. Had just acquired a decent 2nd hand regulator to replace the scabby spiro and it didn’t have a octopus.
4. Had just got myself a drysuit and the first stage only had 3 lp ports. At the time didn’t fancy additional adaptors on top of the 1/8 to 3/8 adaptor.

The use of an air2 resolved all of those issues. Was the air2 (mk2 version) more bulky? No as it was shorter but slightly fatter. Was always removed from the ABLJ and serviced with the regulator. It should also be noted that the training at this time for air sharing was buddy breathing and no training for octopus use. Also was taught to use the drysuit for buoyancy control.

So why change back to an octopus?
1. Invested in a jacket style BC. The connection between the direct feed and mouthpiece was much improved and didn’t fall apart. There was plastic D rings and Velcro to hold things to like an octopus.
2. Started to get involved with training. There was a tendency to press the air2 purge instead of the deflate during a controlled buoyant lift. Having oddball kit didn’t really work.
So bit the bullet got an octopus and T piece to fit it too. My present regulator has 4 Lp ports at 3/8 so no adaptors required.

would I change back to an air2? Unlikely.
Use a longhose and bungeed necklaced backup. The longhose is in your mouth or being donated to the OOG diver; the backup is just under your chin.

Lonhose can be shorter 150cm/5ft which will go under your armpit. The full-length longhose at 7ft/210cm needs something on the waist to tuck under, traditionally an umbilical torch battery.

That configuration will be the same for single cylinder, double cylinder or sidemounted cylinders. It works *really* well; doesn't drag in the water, is far more effective for donating, you absolutely know the backup works as you *will* test it on every dive.

Octo had a tendency to drag in the muck? That’s diver error letting your octo drag.

Danglies are Very Bad and it’s seems a lot of instructors don’t give a flying **** from all the danglies I’ve seen at Midwestern quarry.
Agreed

Back
Top Bottom