Things I learned in first 20 dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great observations here! I will add these from my own personal experiences early on:

· For a warm water diver, if the water seems just a bit chilly, a 2mm-3mm hood (or even better - a hooded vest) makes all the difference

· When drift diving, if you lag behind the group a bit, a lot of the reef life that got scared away will come back out for you to see

· Lots of divers with lots of dives under their belt will kick and manhandle the reef, while many freshly-minted divers seem to have a healthy respect for it

· It's not a race - In fact, it's kind of the opposite

· Where you put the weight is perhaps more important than how much weight you carry

· Don't get too close to the guy ahead of you on the ladder getting back in the boat

· A folding snorkel in your pocket beats one strapped to your head

· Putting on your gear the same way every time helps to avoid forgetting something

· Only one new piece of gear at a time until you get used to it is wise advice

· Shallow dives have LOTS more color and light than deeper dives, and your air goes MUCH further​

I can tell I need to get a folding snorkel.

Alot of folks mentioning the bungee straps. Here is how I learned. As I boarded the boat the first time I saw all the bungee straps lined up on the freshwater station in the center of the boat. I wondered silently what they were for. I observed the tanks in the tank holders and got my gear set up. I guess I had a bewildered look on my face because the DM quietly got one of the straps and bungeed my tank for me and as she walked away she gave me the "now you know" smile. Of course I gave her the "I knew that" look. I later thanked her.....quietly.

If you dive on consecutive days with the same captain and DM and they realize you are a screw ball, they will let you sit on the side of the boat preparing to roll in only telling you that you forgot your fins when everybody else is watching.

If you tell everybody you and your divebuddy are newbies you will get advice and suggestions that will make the dive ALOT better.

It won't take long for you to remember to walk backwards in your fins.

After 20 dives you formulate a plan to save money to take a trip to Bonaire, Cozumel, etc.

After about 10 dives you realize your seven year old is writing down all the things you told her you saw on your dives and you can't wait until she can be your dive buddy.

You realize that when you return to Kentucky and tell your buddies that you just got back from diving with rays, eels, octopus, reef squid, occassional shark and schools of barracuda they WILL look at you like you are an alien.

Three tank dive days are better than two tank dive days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tddfleming
Put console on retractable clip across chest.

I wish I was taught this in my OW or AOW classes. It makes life so much easier

Does this make it a whole lot easier to get to? I have always put it on the retractable clip on my right side, but still have trouble getting to it sometime.

I have my 12 yr old completely set up, I still rent and cuss. But with is coming across her chest and easy access, she is OCD about checking her gauges. No issues or stopping to put things back, she just pulls it out and keeps right on going. I on the other hand, have to stop to try and remove the thing from the holder, try and hold it out far enough to read the god forsaken thing and then get the whole group involved gettting it back in the cord holder. With her setup there is No dragging, it is right where she needs it to be. No wasted time or gas because everyone and their brother has to get involved. Now if I can find an alternative to the octo holder, she will be set. As that requires her dive buddy, ie me, mom to put that back in. How I let the the LDS talk me into that, after I told them I hated the thing I will never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tddfleming
Put console on retractable clip across chest.

Does this make it a whole lot easier to get to? I have always put it on the retractable clip on my right side, but still have trouble getting to it sometime.

yes it makes things a LOT easier. Before I had it clipped on the bottom left of the BC and I almost felt like I had stretch the cord to it's limits and shift the BC sideways just to view it. Now I just lift it off my chest a little bit while still swimming and then put it back down. No stopping or hassle involved whatsoever. Just put it through your left armhole then connect it to a ring on the opposite side of your jacket.

yes it makes things a LOT easier. Before I had it clipped on the bottom left of the BC and I almost felt like I had stretch the cord to it's limits and shift the BC sideways just to view it. Now I just lift it off my chest a little bit while still swimming and then put it back down. No stopping or hassle involved whatsoever. Just put it through your left armhole then connect it to a ring on the opposite side of your jacket.

I will definitely have to try that the next time I go diving.

I Now if I can find an alternative to the octo holder, she will be set. As that requires her dive buddy, ie me, mom to put that back in. How I let the the LDS talk me into that, after I told them I hated the thing I will never know.

Have you thought about a neck bungee? It would mean she would be breathing off the octo in an OOA situtation.

Another suggestion is a quick release clip. My octo came with the quick release and I clip it to the d-ring at my shoulder.

If you have your own computer set it to your comfort limits with alarm on. I have my daughters set to 40ft max depth and we can both hear it whenever we do something we should not be doing. Computer reminds us of it and we can then see what we are doing wrong.

Back
Top Bottom