Thigh Pocket: Yay or Nay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pockets on the suit are great and really help with my storage needs. I have two XS scuba pockets glued on my 3mm full suit. They could be a little bigger but it works. Some divers also like the x-shorts that slide on. If you have different suits then it makes things easier.

I see you took the 'Yay' option, then! I've dived with a thigh-pocket for years, and wouldn't be without it - I keep slates, spare mask, spare fin-strap, trauma shears and allsorts in mine.

One thing you might want to consider is that retrieving items from the pocket can sometimes be a two-handed task... and an SMB can be a 'need it in a hurry' item. Peter_C is spot-on with his advice to clip everything to a bungee fixed inside the pocket - that way, if hurriedly pulling out your SMB pulls other items out of the pocket, at least they're still attached!

FWIW, my solution was to keep my 'maintenance items' in the pocket (which, as it isn't glued to me, can be handed off to whoever needs it...) and have my SMB and spool hung in a side-opening pouch below my cylinder/BC so that I can simply reach back for it with one hand if I'm in a hurry.

I guess it really depends on how much stuff you need to carry on your dives... a thigh-pocket is a very useful bit of kit that I personally recommend, but do be sure that you can actually get at what you need, when you need it! :wink:

While slightly larger, my dive team uses these repurposed gas mask bags from the local Police
http://www.amazon.com/BLACKHAWK-Omega-Elite-Mask-Pouch/dp/B004T16WOO/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_1

Comes with a strap for attaching around a waist belt, but that can be removed. It also has a long shoulder strap that i use to sling around my waist in addition to the two leg straps. Both leg straps have silicon grip on the inside, as well as an elastic stretch panel so the straps can expand when your quad flexes. Its the same 1000 denier canvas most BCs are made out of. Has one main compartment that secure with adjustable buckles or a velcro panel plus two smaller pouches on the side. i keep and extra knife and a finger spool in them.

Just an idea

Wouldn't dive without them. I have the "Diverite" ones and I also have a 3 ml with the Halcyon pockets glued on. The only downfall to the glued on ones are that you look like a mountie when not in the water! At any rate my wet notes, BU light, spare cutting tool on the right and my lunch in the left.

But as a wise man posted earlier if you do give up your crotch strap you will be back!

Back
Top Bottom