They Still Look Different

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blair Mott

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
They still look Different​
Yesterday I got a telephone call to work offshore to free up some mooring lines that were tangled up. Last week was the biggest swell off the California coast this year and the mooring lines for the crew boats that service the oil rigs tie up to were being thrashed around for days. Once the swell settled down there were a few mooring lines that needed to be sorted out and that is where I come in.
Time to get wet! I started to suit up and the deck crew was getting excited because a diver is getting ready to jump. This time the most excitement was surrounding my fins. Once they come out of the bag I had 2 guys come over and say “WOW now those are some different looking fins!” I was wearing the Flying Force Fins. The next time I had a comment from the topside crew was when I was swimming back from the mooring can to the boat. “Man you turned on your side swam over here in no time and almost jumped onto the dive platform” I looked up and said “yea these fins are different.”

g'morning Bair, been a while.

Sounds very similar to the comments that I always get, except they always follow it up with either "those things will kill you" or "you'll never be able to keep up with me" and invariably the guy is wearing Jets or Turtles. Don't think I really need to say how it always turns out.

Hows things been out in SB? How are the new foils, has Bob gotten them better, or is he just trying to keep up with the holiday surge?

Good Day
SB is great- cold for us , but warm for others. Great day in the water these last few days I have been so happy to get wet again. The new foils are coming along , but he will be still testing well into the new year, but as you guessed we are trying to keep up with all of the Holiday cheer and scramble at the same time! Take care!

guess that means that I won't have my new OPS fin when I go dive the new drysuit next week??

I will be posting my review of it from unpacking it to testing it in the 46F Quarry that is right around the corner. It will make a very merry christmas for me.

They DO look different. Greg from Scuba Radio dives them and one day I need to try them out. And yes, I have been diving Jets since 1969.

Since 1969 that is great! I always say to divers give them at least 3 or 4 dives before you form an opinion. Some take longer some take shorter. They look and feel different so it takes some time to understand the difference and how it relates to your energy output underwater versus other types of fins. I just received this from a customer who purchased a pair of Extra Force Tan deltas in Cyprus.- you can notice the English spelling

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] got my fins, thank you.... I even dived with them[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] that week[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica].... what can I tell
you... when I first got in water, it was "too much money for nothing".
After 2 min when I got to 40 meters, it as "not bad, but still
expensive" on the 30 min, on the end of the deep part of the dive " it
worth every sent I paid of it" ... they are fast man! really fast, I had
a bit high consumption but that was because I was simulating DPV with
it! :eek:) really enjoyed the speed... it needs more mastering in
maneuvers, it is a bit different, and it is amazing how effective the
back kick is!!! Lovely fins, thank you.[/FONT]

I love it, a little story that happened to me. as you know Blair, I just bought my father a pair of slim fins for him to swim laps with in the pool. He has been using speedo's fins and many other fins, both large and small for 15 years now. He went and swam with them only minutes after they were delivered and called me afterwards. The first thing he said was "they felt so natural, I didn't even feel like I was wearing fins, but I was moving so well"

With 15 years using one type of fin I call that physical and mental conditioning. You body and mind are used to certain forces acting on you muscles. So once you put on a pair of Force Fins the first response is they are not doing anything because you can't feel the force of moving a board through the water. Your dad hit it right on the head they feel natural. I am glad he like his fins!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom