These man-o-war are damn huge!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The tentacles can go 20 feet. I was stung by one years ago and was partially paralyzed
On my right side for an hour or so.

Saw tentacles in the water while swimming one day, and almost flew ashore. I didn't want to know if there were more of them around. A nice heavy neoprene shell can fo more than keep you warm!

that's a large one...we get invaded every so often with huge specimens...thanks for sharing.

And THAT is one reason why diving in the springs is sometimes preferable to the ocean! (Less clean up afterward due to fresh vs. salt water is another.) :)

Be that time of year...
Blue Heron Bridge a couple years ago
11001914_10152682836513531_6375860305898705605_n.jpg

11054415_10152682836438531_1542449588003167717_n.jpg

Was coming back towards shore. My buddy signaled up, so we hit the surface to talk and we see some MOWs. I shot a few then noticed one was following me. How the heck???? Turns out one of the tentacles got stuck in my fin strap. Thankfully, my booties covered my ankles as I never felt anything. Couldn't cut it with my fin, and eventually it came off, leaving small pieces attached. Buddy took off my fins with his gloves. Back on shore, a small fragment, the size of a hair dropped on my foot. Yes, it hurt. Can only imagine the pain if I didn't have ankle booties on.. or if we had continued our dive and swam into them instead of surfacing like we did.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom