These headaches are killing me !!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I could have sworn I read his post and it said "additional training may be required to do this".....maybe I'm wrong, but that seems to tell me he's saying you need additional training if you're not already certified.

Cmon, let's not be a pack of wolves jumping down someones throat here. Anyone who takes a basic OW class should at least know enough about the dangers of oxygen in high pressures that they leave it alone until they get training.

First, the information cave diver is giving is incorrect. Second, I believe a instructor has a higher standard of responsibility to provide correct information to those who are not. "additional training may be required"? Where does the "may" part fit in? Sadly, I also disagree with your statement that "anyone who takes a basic OW class should at least know enough about the danges of oxygen in high pressures". while most OW training gives this lip service, the student is overwhelmed with new concepts and ideas in the short period of time required by the agency to become certified. Moreover, diving to 60' or even 130' on air as specified in most agency standards as the limit for OW and even AOW training, you do not come close to 02 hit territory. I would make a bet with you that the vast majority of students are not able to identify the acronym CONVENTID (or any other acronym used to help remember ox tox symptoms) and they will have next to no knowledge of oxygen toxicity or its symptoms. In short, as an instructor, we have a higher standard of responsibility. Adding some fine print that is misleading at best does not remove that responsibility.

The advice, if taken at face value, could kill someone. Those sorts of situations must be corrected in the fasted and strongest possible terms.

Try loosening your mask strap a notch or two. In my experience, the only times I've experienced the symptoms you describe has been when I replaced my mask strap or diving with a new mask, it takes a dive or two to find the right adjustment.

jjacobsen - I think you found your answer - but wanted to let you know my personal experience with this...

I have about half as many dives as you (25-30) but went through this and found resolution

I too had the same problem - I too did it my first few times diving. I was trying to control my breathing to conserve air...

Once I learned to relax and forget about breathing - it went away. The only time I become concious of my breathing now is when I'm trying to make a change in my bouancy for a few seconds (go over/ under and obstacle and need to ascend or decend for 3 or 4 feet)...even that I don't really think about anymore - its becoming second nature.

Sure as anything - if I become self concious of oxygen consumption - problem will return.

oddly - when I forget about the air - I stay down longer anyway.

Have fun - after all - that's what this whole thing is about for those of us that aren't earning our living doing it (or its suppose to be).

Ray

I had the same problem when I was a beginner. Tried to use as little air as possible...then ended up with headaches due to poor ventilation and CO2 build-up.
Stop focusing on minimal air consumption, try to actually do a couple if dives while breathing liberally.

Back
Top Bottom