Thermoplastic exposure suits - good or bad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The New Guy

Reaction score
I just bought SCUBA Diving, third edition by Dennis Graver. I noticed that when he discusses wetsuits the thermoplastic suits sound nearly ideal: they block wind and yet breathe, and they are lightweight and stretchy. Why then do I never hear about them? It almost seems as though the term "wetsuit" is synonymous with neoprene.

Thermoplastic—sandwiched between two layers of spandex—is another type of wet-suit material. A suit made from this three-ply material is about 30 percent warmer than a spandex suit. Thermoplastic suits are thin (1.2 to 1.4 millimeters) and designed for use in tropical waters (75 to 85 °F, or 24 to 29 °C). Some suits feature soft, plush lining for extra warmth. The plush lining increases the warmth of the suit by about 10 percent. You can wear a thermoplastic suit beneath a neoprene wet suit for extra warmth in colder water.

You'll notice they're talking about warm water diving, wetsuits are used in cold water and probably more common due to that, especially in your neck of the woods.

Thanks for the info! I knew they were mostly for tropical waters, but even the few reef divers I've heard talking always seem to use Neoprene wetsuits. Are the thermoplastic suits popular in tropical waters, or does neoprene pretty much rule all?

Back
Top Bottom