Thermoclines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skittl1321

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am wondering about the water temperature in Cozumel (specifically in December, but we can talk in general). I've been told to expect about 75-80. I assume this means the surface water temperature.

Is the temperature at depth (let's talk 60-80 feet) much different from the surface temperature? Are there thermoclines where it suddenly gets a lot colder? How much does the depth temperature vary from the surface temperature?

---------- Post added October 25th, 2013 at 08:09 AM ----------

Never mind- just went through more threads in my search and found one that explicitly stated "no thermocline".

You are getting more excited by the day, aren't you? It was weird in September. With all the rain that had been falling, the surface had a distinct halocline. It was pretty cool. I had never experienced it like that. For a second I thought my mask was fogged or otherwise messed up. Divers 15-20 feet away were out of focus. About 8-10 feet or so, it all went away.

Once I remember diving after some bad rains and every so often it feel like someone opened a door and a cold draft blew through. It was a sudden bit of cold water. Then it was gone. The ONLY time I ever thought about a wet suit. (And only for the second or two I was in the cold 'breeze')

CV when i was there in Sep I also experienced the halocline, that was an amazing sight. we went to maracaibo and the first 15' or so was cloudy. as for thermoclines i have yet to see much difference in temp from top to bottom.

You are getting more excited by the day, aren't you?

Yes- I took a few months off of scubaboard, but now that it is getting closer- I'm back to obsessing.

We are trying to decide if we'll be warm or cold in our 3mm. I'm thinking even if we are a little chilly at the end of the second dive of a day, we'll just have to remind ourselves the water isn't 60 degrees: cause that is really cold.

---------- Post added October 25th, 2013 at 08:44 AM ----------

the first 15' or so was cloudy

If Cozumel is cloudy, I'm gonna be so pissed off. If I want to dive in cloudy, I can stay in Iowa!
(Then again, it sounds like "cloudy" is what I'd consider pretty good visibility...)

Yes- I took a few months off of scubaboard, but now that it is getting closer- I'm back to obsessing.

We are trying to decide if we'll be warm or cold in our 3mm. I'm thinking even if we are a little chilly at the end of the second dive of a day, we'll just have to remind ourselves the water isn't 60 degrees: cause that is really cold.

Well, you could ask your very responsive dive op to bring some big shortys along for overtop if you get cold?

If Cozumel is cloudy, I'm gonna be so pissed off. If I want to dive in cloudy, I can stay in Iowa!
(Then again, it sounds like "cloudy" is what I'd consider pretty good visibility...)

1. Ok, you described diving in mud in that shallow pond. Eww.... Not like that at all.

2. We aren't staying at 15 feet.

3. I have ordered no rain that week.

:D

---------- Post added October 25th, 2013 at 10:31 AM ----------

We WILL NOT, by plan, go to 190'.

Because of the strong current I have never experienced any thermocline in Cozumel. first years diving there I only used a Lycra skin but was cold in the second dive and bought a 3mm. It is ok but it can be warm for the surface interval.

For the haloclines I have experienced one after some heavy rain and it was an interesting experience but not really a cold one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

---------- Post added October 25th, 2013 at 08:44 AM ----------

You might check to see if there are some hooded vests or a 1 ml skin that you can wear under your 3 ml. 75-80 degrees is 5ml temp for me. Check Leisure Pro,Scuba Toys and the local shops for sales. This is a gret time of year for sales.

We WILL NOT, by plan, go to 190'.

We better not go to 190' unplanned either.

---------- Post added October 25th, 2013 at 09:53 AM ----------

You might check to see if there are some hooded vests or a 1 ml skin that you can wear under your 3 ml. 75-80 degrees is 5ml temp for me. Check Leisure Pro,Scuba Toys and the local shops for sales. This is a gret time of year for sales.

I haven't done two long dives in a single day (we usually do 2 30 minute dives; mostly cause the dives are boring)- but my last dive was average temp 66 with minimum at 61, and my hands were very cold, but I remember just being sort of cold most of the time in a 3mm. But I also know longer dives will be colder. I think the idea of asking the dive op if they can get me a shorty to go on top if necessary is probably the way to go.

I just don't dive enough to justify a huge closet of exposure suits... I do have a beanie cap though. It adds a bit of warmth.

While no thermocline, there are areas below where cooler, fresh water from shore flows and you can feel the temperature difference if you travel through those -- they are small, only momentarily cool and easily avoided. Generally during December, the surface is a bit cooler than the bottom due to wind. The coldest place at that time of year is on the boat after diving for the same reason.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom