Thermalution + 4rth Element Proteus Good For Socorro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mattbesh

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,
I will be diving off of the Rocio Del Mar live aboard in the Socorro Islands in April of this year. I have a 4th Element Proteus 3mm with the neck thing. It has 10 dives on it. I am thinking of not buying a 5mm, but just buying a Thermalution instead. I dont get that cold. Any comments?
Thank you

It probably depends on what the water temp is. My wife absolutely loves her Thermalution. She dives all summer long and usually will only dive one time per day due to getting freezing cold. Our water temps that we dive on our trips are anywhere from 70-80, but even in her 4/3, she gets cold on the bottom. She's cold all summer long, even in a full suit. I got her a Thermalution last summer, and the complaints of being cold have FINALLY ended! :D

I unfortunately have not been able to try it myself yet. I usually dive with her, but have a much higher cold tolerance. We all know...If Momma Aint Happy, Aint Nobody Happy! I figure I'm way more "warm" with her wearing it than I could ever be. ha ha ha. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Hi,
I will be diving off of the Rocio Del Mar live aboard in the Socorro Islands in April of this year. I have a 4th Element Proteus 3mm with the neck thing. It has 10 dives on it. I am thinking of not buying a 5mm, but just buying a Thermalution instead. I dont get that cold. Any comments?
Thank you

Not sure what the temp is in April, I was there in december last year, water temp was about 78 or 79. My 4th element 3mm with the neck thing worked great. I had a 5mm with me that never made it off the hanger (winter storm caused scheduling problems at SEA so I packed a wetsuit in a carry on just in case of a lost bag).

I'm sure you'll be totally fine with just the 3mm and a Thermalution. The Thermalution gets super warm. High is too much for my wife, especially in a good sealed wetsuit that doesn't flush very much water while diving. With a good, sealed wetsuit like your 3mm, 4th Element wetsuit, it should certainly be enough warmth to keep you out of the 5mm suit in those water temps.

Back
Top Bottom