Thermal vents at White Point

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

USCScubaboy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Thinking about checking out the hydrothermal vents at White Point. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice regarding the dive site?

Thanks for the info. Found the "vents" yesterday. Was kind of surprised that there was no "hot" water surrounding it. The only other indication of geothermal activity besides the white filament was the sand being somewhat warmer than the surrounding water temperature.

Did you actually find one of the vent openings? If so, you should have seen the heat causing a ripple effect to the surrounding water. I could also feel the temperature change with an ungloved hand last time I was there.

One of the guys I dove with found one of the vents in that manner.

This is one of my favorite dives.
The water here is rarely clear, but when it is, it is like diving one of the forbidden pools on the third moon of Omacron XII.

Er, what I mean is that it is like another planet.

Did a night dive there with Max Bottomtime once.
Trippiest dive ever. Plus we ran smack into a GSB.

Beware on a night excursion, there is NOBODY ANYWHERE TO HELP if you get in a pickle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom