Thermal Undergarment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

muzzy00uk

New
Reaction score
Hi All
Im new to the forum and only been diving around a year now.

I have probably a really stupid but hopefully simple question....

I have just got a neoprene drysuit and was looking to get some sort of undergarment. i just wanted to know does it have to be specifically a scuba undergarment or is any thermal pants and vest ok?

i was looking at the diving skins and thought something like that might work but obviously dont want to waste time and money getting something that will sit around doing nothing or get sent back.

hope you can help
Steven

Welcome to Scubaboard.

I have just gone down this road myself. A merino wool base layer is often recommended. Personally I use Ice-Breaker. If not merino wool you want a base layer that wicks moisture away from your skin.t doesn't need to be "specifically" designed for scuba. "Specifically" designed will cost you more as with anything dive related.

All depends on where you will dive and how regular and how long you will dive.

The "where" is to identify how cold the water can get and how long the winter (cold water period) lasts

The "how regular" will identify whether it is worth making the investment of going for some more adapted undergarnment

The "how long" (which can be complemented by your sensitivity to the cold) identifies how warm the undergarnment has to be to provide you the required comfort.

As a result of answering honestly yourself these three questions you might identify whether an adapted undergarnment is necessary.

For giving an example: I easily stand the cold and dive regularly in water that is close to, or below, 10C. The cold period lasts for 4-5 months.

With my neoprene drysuit I am usually using a 100g undergarnment, but have recently added an additional 200g Santi.

Use the indicator of the thermal comfort as a benchmark whether alternates will work out.

Also discuss with your buddies what they are using.

I would guess that if you made the investment of a drysuit it would be a wrong saving for not spending some money on proper undergarnment.

thank you both. that really helpful.
at the moment im only diving in the uk and if im lucky the temps will be around 5 degrees C and up until now ive been using a wetsuit and shorty.

ill keep looking around and will ask around when im next diving like you suggest. just not sure when that will be, weather here isnt dive friendly atm :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom