Thermal protection in May?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got back from Maui, water temps 75 degrees all week. I'm a wimp, and wore a 5/4mm with a 3mm hood all week. And I was still a little chilly. But like I said, I'm a wimp.

We were with Ed Robinson's (great op, BTW), and the exposure protection varied greatly from diver to diver. Some guys were in 7mm PLUS a hooded vest, and one guy was in just a rash guard and shorts! But he had a little extra natural insulation :)

Thanks everyone! I was planning on watching these recommendations and then buying a suit at the Xcel outlet or sumptin when I arrived.

I was at my LDS on Friday and they had a 3/2 full suit (current bioprene + my old 3/2 suit = wrong size) so I just picked it up there. Coming from a state with no sales tax...made it worth it. :)

I can suck up the cold for the first day of diving and if it too cold, I will buy the core vest & hood for the second day. I did pack my 7mil hood only because for some reason, I have tons of room in my dive bag since I ain't bringing the drysuit! Yahoooo!

So thanks everyone for their replies!

Let us know after you get back how you did in the 3/2, I'd be curious to know.
Thanks!

In my limited dive experience here, I've been using a 3.5 full wetsuit year-round, and never been uncomfortable.

Although that could be because my air never lasts long enough for me to get cold...:dork2:

I dove the 3/2 today. 90 minutes max 44 ft at sharks cove. I brought my hood(7mil) and used that with 2 mil socks, no gloves. I got cool at end of dive and didn't have time for the second dive. Tomorrow I will look into buying a vest because I am sure I would need it for deeper or repetitive dives. Being a person who gets cold easily, I was surprised I lasted so long.

That water was exceptionally cold today. Normally I'm good for an hour and a half in my normal getup but I was shivering at the end of an hour. It was great diving with you today, hope we can get together once more before you leave!!

Peace,
Greg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom