There's no need to rush

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I was just struck today at the number of threads I've read that were started by people who want to know how few dives they need to do "x". "X" is often a DM or instructor class, and sometimes a tech class or a cave class. And it makes me sad to see people in such a hurry.

Some classes after OW are useful, because they make diving more fun. Anything that improves your own diving skills falls into this category. It may be Peak Performance Buoyancy, or Dry Suit, or Fundamentals, or a wreck diving workshop. As long as you learn some more about the mechanics or theory of diving, and come out with some new skills, it's going to help make diving easier, or more exciting, or expand the opportunities you have to dive.

But the time in your life when you are going to be most easily delighted by diving is at the beginning. Your first dives are wonderful, because everything you see is new to you. Just BEING on scuba is pretty cool. Almost every dive will have its own learning experiences, whether they have to do with getting the dive done safely or seeing more of the underwater environment. There is NO need to rush through these wonderful dives! Take the time to revel in them. As my mother used to say to me, you are only young once . . . You are only a wide-eyed beginner once, and you should enjoy it.

A very wonderful and very wise instructor said to me a couple of years ago, "Go and do all the dives you can do with the education you have, and when you are bored, come back and get more training." That is such a golden nugget. When you are tired of blowing bubbles and sightseeing your local sites, THAT's the time to pick up a camera, or take a Marine ID class, get involved with REEF or Reef Check, or plan a trip to a new environment. Most of us, as time goes on, will find some need to stretch in some direction, and eventually that may be in the direction of going deeper and darker and longer, or inside, or into an educator's role. But there is a long lifetime to dive, and no need to hurry any of this.

Enjoy diving, and develop your own skills. Find what it is about diving that excites YOU, and explore it. And when you have a lot of stories to tell, and a lot of problems you've solved, and a lot of tips to pass along, then get involved in teaching.

JMHO.

BTW, this thread was sparked by a wonderful dive report from a brand new diver on another board, who reminded me of how magical starfish were, when I was new at this.

Exactly Lynne! I have put off any more training other than a peak class because I want to just figure out how to do the basics since I'm newly certified. I'm working on gaining confidence in my diving and each dive teaches me something new. So like you said..when I'm bored with what I'm doing now...I'll pursue more (plus it is easier on the pocket book too!)

I've been looking at some of those same threads and wondering why people aspire to teach something before they even know how to do it. I, like a lot of new divers, have ideas of eventually becoming an instructor. Eventually being the key word here. I'm not looking for the quickest route to getting there. I am however, looking for a quick path to wrecks because that's one of the reasons I got into diving, to see the wrecks. AOW is planned for this summer, then maybe some specialties to open more opportunities but nothing that will get me any closer to going pro is on my dive radar.

Maybe in a few years, when I'm no longer amazed by the fact I'm underwater for longer than I can hold my breath, when I can hover so effortlessly and calmly that people wonder if I'm awake or even breathing (I wondered this about my OW instructor in a pool session), I'll consider teaching. Until then, I just want to go diving.

When I used to work as a divemaster I got the feeling some of the beginner divers were a little envious of me because I could set my gear up in a flash, get dressed much quicker than them and could dive effortlessly etc. etc. Little did they know, I was often a little jealous of them because they were obviously going to see a lot of new stuff and have more fun than me (just how excited can I get by seeing the same eel for the 50th time).

This is soooo true! I have divers who come to me, usually in the middle of an open water course, with a "checklist".

"Ok, now I want to do a night dive and then I'm looking at getting tech equipment so I can eventually get into tech diving..."

Really??? Sometimes I feel like I "give" them the night dive...and it's checked off the list. They're done...and now to move onto the next check box.

And i'm constantly answering the question, how many dives do I need before I can get into technical?

As an instructor teaching quite often in the same site, week after week...I still don't get tired of looking at starfish!! So, I encourage my students to take their time...it's in the simple dives when I wasn't expecting it that I've had my most amazing moments. Ones that were National Geographic quality experiences.

Don't rush. The water has been there for a long time, and with global warming...well, it's only going to get deeper!!

Great post, TSandM. There is that dive shop mentality that tries to keep divers moving through the classes, which keeps income moving through the shop, but never allows the nOOb to just relax and enjoy their diving for a while and get good at where they are.
But the time in your life when you are going to be most easily delighted by diving is at the beginning.
Well, if I take out the word "easily", than the opposite has been true for me.

In the beginning I was perfectly happy with my diving, having a great time, until I made some dives with some folks in Puget Sound (NWGD, UP) who were having a much better time than me. Their abilities in the water were so superior to mine and they appeared so totally comfortable and in control in the water, that they could enjoy the dive more than I could. I watched one of them stop dead above a log, float down to inches from the the bottom without silting and peek under a log at a giant octopus. I tried the same thing and banged into the bottom creating a thick cloud of silt and saw nothing. This was typical of the way the dives with these guys went for me back then.

But as my skills improved, so did my joy of diving! I could go places and see things I never could as a nOOb. I was able to dive with people whose abilities both honored and humbled me. Funny, it seems that I have always been happy with wherever my diving was, and that someone or some event caused me to move forward, and my joy increased (you can see my heal marks all the way to tech diving - something I said I'd never do).

I've never been bored. I still love just floating around in shallow water looking at stuff. It's just as fun for me as my first dives - more fun, actually, because I'm not fighting with gear and buoyancy and trim and stuff. I'm not that nOOb staring nervously at my console, hoping desperately that I won't bang into the bottom or fly to the surface. I still think that a starfish is cool, and now I can actually hang easily over it long enough to see details I couldn't before, watch it eat or move, and really enjoy it.

The most fun I've ever had diving was last fall, penetrating into the wreck of the Jodrey at depths of 200'+. I never thought I'd do such amazing diving! Scootering the sheer walls of my local water at 150' to 200' is more fun and exciting than I dreamed.

There is no doubt about it, the time in my life when I am most delighted by diving is NOW. :D

You are right, as usual, TSandM. There is no need to rush. But if you move at the correct pace, the joy of diving will only increase. I can't imagine what fun it must be back in those caves! :eyebrow:

Rick, that's a great post, and the reason why I said that taking classes that improve your own personal diving skills can be well worth while. For me, one of the big steps was becoming able to sit in the water without moving ANYTHING. This, in and of itself, is a delight to me, and it also enhances every dive I do.

(And I confess that I have never gotten tired of starfish, even if the color and profusion of them doesn't surprise me as much as it did on those first few dives!)

This is a timely post for me as I am taking my second trip to the Keys next week ( I was OW certified three weeks ago). I'm going next week because I really want to dive, but I really feel like I need more instruction. I had arranged to do two AOW dives next week, buoyancy and navigation. But then I got to thinking...when will I be able to dive after this ? I live in Boulder Co and really dont relish the idea of diving cold water (Blue hole, NM) or the Crater in Utah. So maybe next week is the only opportunity I will have in the next 4-5 months to dive again. I'm thinking of as many AOW dives next week as I can, but am wondering if I'm in too much of a hurry. For me, its not so much the certification as it is getting the instruction while everything is still fresh. After the OW dives I did two dives w/o instruction and to be honest, diving was more fun without the pressure of performing, but at the same time I know that instruction will make me a better diver (I hope !)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom