There is no "I" in team

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leam

Contributor
Reaction score
But it's the first step to be an idiot...

So I'm reading the SAS Mental Endurance book ( http://btobsearch.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&btob=Y&isbn=1585744425&itm=1 ) and thinking about how to incorporate a higher sense of purpose and team spirit. Feel free to abuse my ideas and come up with better ones.

1. Non-generic mission roles. Get rid of having "a" safety diver and each pair is both primary and safety. The first diver goes in and comes back with a minimum of 1000 PSI. The second diver goes in while the first is saftey. The safety always has access to a spare tank with regulators that can be used if someone gets trapped on the bottom. So the perception changes from "a safety diver" to "my safety diver". We are a team for the duration of that mission and we back each other up. rehab together, debrief together, and eat mexican food together.

2. No idiot behaviors. This is a tough one for us.
i. "I" and self-importance.
d. Defensiveness and inability to critically self-review.
i. "It's somebody else's job". Outward expression of laziness.
o. Omniscient; "I've been doing this for 20 hears, you can't teach me nuthin."
t. Territorial. Don't try to help improve my part; mind your own business!

3. Scenario based training. We need to do the basics like diving patterns but we also need to run operations from call-out to debrief. We've been blessed with no responses this year but there's the tendency to lax drill as a result. Running realistic scenarios should give us more sense of purpose and some "live fire" type drills to expose our weaknesses as a team.

4. Role based training. Instead of trying to have everyone do everything we're moving to specific roles based on NFPA 1670. We will do dive, swiftwater, and land search. Rope is not a role because it is key to each of the others. A person can follow the dive track even if they aren't a diver because we're using the "Awareness", "Operational", and "Technician" levels of skill. Thanks to Blades for the suggestion! A person can choose what roles they want to fill and at what levels they want to work and they will have an explicit list of skills to learn and duties to perform.

5. In all this I'm going to introduce the concept of a unifrom, professional bearing, and maturity. After a decade in the military I get nauseus when I see a bunch of over-weight rednecks in BDU pants who think they are special just by being on the "team". Nothing seperates us from the overweight rednecks in bdu pants on the street except the lack of Budweiser cases on the grass.

Any ideas on how to make this better?

ciao!

leam

Wow, a few years and no ideas? :)

Reading some of the other threads got me thinking about this again. I'm finding my niche of diving devolves to PSD. Tech is nice, wrecks in the ocean are cool, but I get more hyped up about playing in the mud. Since we seem to move every few years, I'm back to working on the IADRS watermanship skills (though I'm a lousy swimmer), and rigging my gear for primarily search and recovery.

Leam

It would probably get more response in the "public safety diver" forum, you might want to get it moved. Most rec divers don't use NFPA 1670 or care about what it says.

1. Non-generic mission roles. Get rid of having "a" safety diver and each pair is both primary and safety. The first diver goes in and comes back with a minimum of 1000 PSI. The second diver goes in while the first is saftey. The safety always has access to a spare tank with regulators that can be used if someone gets trapped on the bottom. So the perception changes from "a safety diver" to "my safety diver". We are a team for the duration of that mission and we back each other up. rehab together, debrief together, and eat mexican food together.

While I agree with the team concept 100%, I do not like the idea of the first diver rotating into the safety role. The safety diver is on standby in case of an emergency/problem. This diver should be fresh and readily available. PSD dives are stressful. And while the first diver may feel up to the challenge, he is not 100%. When the distress signal comes from the diver, the safety diver has to respond, assess the situation (very likely in zero vis) and respond as quickly as possible. That is a lot to put on a diver after completing a 15 minute dive in PSD conditions.

Just my opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom