There HAS to be diving in Costa Maya

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw a local dive operator in Mahahual. It looked like a walk up kind of arrangement.
19diveshop.jpg

larger photo

I think the guy's name is Arturo, and his contact information is: this message

Take a taxi to Majahual (they will be waiting at the end of the pier). Once there, there are a number of operations on the beach. Reasonable prices and good diving. I used Arturo when I was there and was pleased.

Rich Hagelin

I'll be there in Jan. found out the same thing about Majahual... Maya ha has been captured by the liners, Dive with Martin is outstanding in Cozumel, but I need both GC and Belize city operators for my trip...let me know how you do...!!!

thanks

We (4 certified and 5 discover sucba) dove with them Christmas Eve 2004 and it was just great! We dove with Blue Ha (now Dreamtime) and Tanya is your contact. I e-mailed them as this last batch of hurricanes came through there and she responded that they had skirted north of them and they were fine. We were on a Holland of America cruise and, at the time, didn't offer a scuba excursion in Costa Maya. Would definately dive with them again.

Vtdiver2:
I had planned on diving Cayman on that cruise, but the winds were too high and the cruiseline cancelled the trip and refunded our money. They did the same thing to the Stingray City trips. We booked a trip to the Turtle Farm etc and when we got off the cruiseship found there was plenty of charters on shore that would have taken us. I ended up snorkeling that afternoon, but didn't get to dive that trip to Grand Cayman.
So, FYI, if it happens to you, just take your gear with you into town and charter your own dive trip.
Have fun,
C-Dawg

I did this same thing when my fiance and I tried to dive Grand Cayman. We of course, were well informed of this being I peruse SB everyday, but when we went into town, 3 shops looked at us and said - "no one is going out today man, you're nuts. Go get drunk". So we did...at 11am, because we were so pissed.

I did dive Costa Maya, with Blue Ha at the time. It was about 2 years ago I believe. I believe the owner at that time has since sold the business os I cant comment on current ways of the world down there.

I did enjoy the diving down there. Agreed not as good as Coz, but fun none-the-less. Good luck...it's worth the dive simply because not many others have dove there and it's a cool experience.

I went on a two-tank dive with Dreamtime on December 7th and loved it! I was on a Carnival cruise and they didn't offer a diving excursion in Costa Maya. The dive booked with the ship the day before in Belize was $169 for a two tank dive---outrageous!

I looked up Dreamtime after seeing their review in Sport Diver Magazine. I booked onlinewith Marco Martin a few weeks before the cruise and he was a great help. They were expecting us when we walked in and would have gotten us right on the boat had our friends not left their C-cards on the ship! :eek:(

The experience with the entire staff was positive. Marco and Hugo and Christopher are all great. The reefs were awesome--- the colors and size of the reefs in CM are absolutely breathtaking! The diving was amazing. The best all week. It blew Belize away. The whole thing was properly organized and the sights underwater were incredible! It was my first backward roll entry and that was different. But I, like JRO, felt very maritime and professional doing it. I will definitely use Dreamtime again. It's worth it, without a doubt. Great staff, great rental gear, great boats, and especially great attitudes!

As far as booking through the cruise lines go, I think they charge ridiculous amounts. However, all shore excursions are expensive and I guess diving is no exception. I am sure they know that divers will pay (almost) anything to get wet!

There is a small fishing village about 3 to 3 1\2 miles south of where the ship ties up at. Its called Mahahual. Dreamtime Divers is the only PADI dive resort there. Look up a guy by the name of Jono, he is co-owner. He will give you prices and and the diving from what I hear is great because he knows where the spots are that haven't been raped buy tourests yet. All this is from what I have read in Sport diver mag. Although I have been there but couldn't dive at the time myself.

Well we just got back yesterday, and we dove with Maya Palms Resort in Majahual. (www.mayapalms.com)
The price includes fresh fruit and water between dives, as well as use of the resort for the day. The resort is very secluded and pretty tricky to get to (about 7mi from port), but I really think it's worth it.
Pedro prepared a buffet style lunch for the guests and boy was it good!! Everyone was great and the property was just gorgeous.
The diving was beautiful, but the weather could've been a little better. The reefs are literally right in front of the resort!

We really enjoyed our experience with Maya Palms, and we'll dive with them again!

BTW - Maya Palms is Maya Ha, but with new owners. From what I understand, the previous owners didn't put the time or care into the place that Catherine and Doug have put into it so far. They are not affiliated at all with the cruise lines, like Dreamtime is now.

Just to caution you on booking on your own, especially in a very remote site like Costa Maya; the operators are not always attentive to the fact that your ship will be leaving at a specific time, they are very laid back. Whereas when you book with the cruiseship, at least you are not responsible if you are late to board. I have arranged tours myself, been late to board and trust me, it's one of the most scary and humiliating things I've gone through. Just an FYI I guess.

Back
Top Bottom