There HAS to be diving in Costa Maya

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lisa_j

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello divers,
Cruise time is coming up in 2 weeks! :D We've booked our diving in Coz and GCayman, but I just can't find anything in Costa Maya. I can book through the cruise ship for a million dollars, but I was hoping for something more reasonable.

I've contacted Dreamtime (nee Blue Ha) but the cruise ships have them by the you-know-whats. And Maya Palms includes a $25 day pass to thier resort (don't need it) and there's no email addy on the site. I've read there are other dive ops that we can just book at the pier, but I'm not sure what to expect. I'd really like to have everything taken care of before we leave.

For a dive location that's "up and coming," they sure make it hard to get wet!
Please share your CM experiences?:06: I look forward to hearing from you!!

-Lisa

I dove with Blue Ha last year when I went there. The cruise ship didn't offer anything. Blue Ha must have completed thier name change. When I was there I think there were only a couple of shops. So has Blue Ha now set up something with the cruise ships?

Yes, that's right. They are now Dreamtime and since we've told them we're arriving by cruiseship, we can't book direct. We'd have to book through our ship and it's $116 pp for a 2-tank dive.

lisa_j:
Yes, that's right. They are now Dreamtime and since we've told them we're arriving by cruiseship, we can't book direct. We'd have to book through our ship and it's $116 pp for a 2-tank dive.
Which cruise line are down there with? $116.00 for a two-tank dive is kind of steep. If that was the only option, I would have to take it, but kicking and screaming.......

I dove Costa Maya 2 years ago while doing a Carnival cruise. We booked through the cruise line. It was more expensive ( I seem to remember $110 for a 2 tank trip) but it does come with some safeguards such as the ship won't leave without you if you are late getting back, and it comes with any rentals you need. The diving wasn't a good as Cozumel, which I did the next day, ot Belize the day after that, but it was good diving.
C-Dawg

Thanks C-Dawg:wink:
We are also taking advantage of the diving in Coz and GCayman...those trips are all booked and pre-paid.
I can certainly book CM through the ship ($116 for 2 tanks) but I'm trying to find something a little less steep.
I will, of course, pay if that's the best/safest way to go!
Thanks!!

lisa_j:
Thanks C-Dawg:wink:
We are also taking advantage of the diving in Coz and GCayman...those trips are all booked and pre-paid.
I can certainly book CM through the ship ($116 for 2 tanks) but I'm trying to find something a little less steep.
I will, of course, pay if that's the best/safest way to go!
Thanks!!
I had planned on diving Cayman on that cruise, but the winds were too high and the cruiseline cancelled the trip and refunded our money. They did the same thing to the Stingray City trips. We booked a trip to the Turtle Farm etc and when we got off the cruiseship found there was plenty of charters on shore that would have taken us. I ended up snorkeling that afternoon, but didn't get to dive that trip to Grand Cayman.
So, FYI, if it happens to you, just take your gear with you into town and charter your own dive trip.
Have fun,
C-Dawg

Grand Cayman is also an excellent place to shore dive. Divetech by the turtle farm, sunset house resort has an on-site dive shop and you can shore dive there too.

Dove with Blue Ha last year and they were excellent. A little more "rustic" than you might find in Belize or Grand Cayman. Backroll in, climb out and all that (I like it, makes me feel like Jacques). They weren't attached to the cruise line in Jan, wish I could give you some other suggestions....sorry and good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom