Theme for Nov 15-21: Needles and pins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Urchins, we see them everywhere, all different kinds. Share your most interesting urchin pics. Maybe even urchin stories, urchin tatoos....YYYYouch!! lol

Found this Rock Boring Urchin inside a dead clam shell. Looks like it's found a new home.

20910P1012003-med.jpg

This is a banded urchin and if you get close to one of these let it be known that it is said to burn like fire.....and BTW the thing in the middle is not it's eye:

20910eye.jpg

Last but not least, urchins are also good for other things. Like - Homes

A Hawaiian Whitespotted Toby checking out a broken collector urchin for size.

20910half_urchin-med.jpg

Hey that looks kinda like a pencil urchin....any relation? Or it is just really close up and the spines look so think?

Here's a school of juvenile wrasses and several shrimp living amongst the spines of a longspine anemone. Shot in Cozumel last week.

-Mark

justleesa:
Hey that looks kinda like a pencil urchin....any relation? Or it is just really close up and the spines look so think?

I think it's a rock-boring urchin. The spines are short but sharp. I asked another forum for ID suggestions, and that was the general consensus. Otherwise, beats me. -Clay

maractwin:
Here's a school of juvenile wrasses and several shrimp living amongst the spines of a longspine anemone. Shot in Cozumel last week.

-Mark

WOW! what long spines! Bet they leave nasty marks if the surge should get you...

Not a great pic... Low vis, lots of current, lots of particle in the water, but atleast I can participate. I don't have many urchin pics, I had to wade through my picture hoard just to find this one.

Damsels.jpg

Whoa! Leesa, Those little nightmares are still around. I hoped they would go back into hiding after Halloween. ;-)

I don't know what these things are, but they kind of look like urchins? Leesa, these were in a Maui tidepool, maybe you know what they are.

20867tidepool.jpg

Back
Top Bottom