The Worst case scenario

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

East West

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
When the first news of the oil spill broke a thought came to me which was the worst case scenario and nobody seem to be asking . I listened to some ugly discussion on the way home from work . I blame BP 40% subcontractors 20% our politicians 40% and consider myself a progressive . It may take a nuke to stop that leak .I hope that is not necessary but will accept the worst case scenario .

The leak has now been stopped, subject to confirmation. I blame the contractor far more than BP, as that company was actually operating the rig when it blew. It was their negligence, not BP's. And of course the US government has been quite disingenuous over this - how much political pressure and encouragement did they put on BP to drill in that area?

BP have been unfairly treated and criticised throughout this episode, and the guilty parties (the contractors) have been only too happy to shelter behind BP and hope they'll escape scot-free. I really hope they don't.

I blame BP 40% subcontractors 20% our politicians 40% and consider myself a progressive . It may take a nuke to stop that leak .I hope that is not necessary but will accept the worst case scenario .

Radioactive oil is apparently o.k. to use.

I like your progressive thinking.

Picture20-8-1.png

I might shift 15 - 20% from BP to the bureaucrats that were, and probably still are, in charge of overseeing that all the safety procedures and equipment were in place and functioning properly.

During the discussions about a drilling moratorium one rig operator stated that if the BP rig was held to the same standards the US rigs were this would not have happened. I thought this would have gotten more play on the news but it died a pretty quick death. I guess millions in advertising, campaign contributions, and whatever other grease was needed gets results.

What annoys me most is there are individuals responsible for this tragedy and none will be held accountable save the ones who died on the rig. This seems to be the new culture in our country.

Bob
---------------------------
There is no problem that can't be solved with a liberal application of sex, tequila, money, duct tape, or high explosives, not necessarily in that order.

I don't know the exact numbers now, but when I worked for a BP subsidiary many years ago all their US operations were run from New York (BPNA Ltd) and most of the staff were American. My own company, though based in the UK, reported to BP in New York, not London. BP is far more an American company than a British one, and has been for many years. I would be exceedingly surprised if BP were not held to exactly the same standards as any other company engaged in drilling anywhere in the US. Now, drilling to those depths is largely an unknown quantity, so the required standards may have been adjusted to take account of that.

I wonder how many Americans realise that the "Swiss" company that was actually operating the rig is in fact entirely American, in staff and management. The only thing "Swiss" about them is the domicile of the company, for which they chose Switzerland as it is neither in the USA (so avoids US regulations and taxes) nor in the EU (which imposes even more draconian regulations).

The US government is far more culpable in this disaster than the politicians will ever admit, unless forced. There has been an awful lot of double talk.

Just like the kid that buys a joint is responsible for killing a border patrol agent, anyone that uses oil is guilty.:wink:

I prefer the Japanese philosophy: spend more time trying to fix it, and less time worrying about who to blame for it, then there is less blame to be apportioned.

However the American corporate culture (sit on rear end, blame someone else) seems to be in full swing.

Saw a good interview with the CEO of Shell the other day, backhandedly sympathising with BP. The same politicians who are hauling BP over the coals now about drilling in such a risky area are the same ones who impose a national energy policy which requires oil firms to drill in such risky areas. Gotta love accountability.

Why is this in Basic Scuba?

How much blame does the actual owner of the rig get? (TRANSOCEAN)
Or did anyone actually do any research into this incident?
FYI, the platform was built by Hyundai. I would like to blame them for all thoise ****ty cars they are importing.
Don't forget the Minerals Management Service, the .gov agency responsible for compliance inspections of the rig, gotta spread the blame around to everyone involved.....

Last edited:
I prefer the Japanese philosophy: spend more time trying to fix it, and less time worrying about who to blame for it, then there is less blame to be apportioned.

However the American corporate culture (sit on rear end, blame someone else) seems to be in full swing.

Saw a good interview with the CEO of Shell the other day, backhandedly sympathising with BP. The same politicians who are hauling BP over the coals now about drilling in such a risky area are the same ones who impose a national energy policy which requires oil firms to drill in such risky areas. Gotta love accountability.

They are forced to drill there by govt regulations. There is oil seeping out of the ground in some parts of the south but NOOO they can't drill there. Go out to sea beyond eye sight with those ugly rigs. Anyone that thinks they drill in 5000 fsw because they want too is misinformed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom