The Value of Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As Lynn stated, a new tanks depreciates significantly as soon as you walk out the door, and often a "new" tank will have less months left to go unitil the next hydro test than a "used" tank with a fresh hydro. Given that tanks are pretty much the ultimate in durable goods, used tanks, and in particular used steel tanks, make a great deal of sense as if you buy it used for a fair price, you will get your money back out of it if you decide to sell it later.

As a result I have only bought 3 new tanks in 25 years - in all 3 cases because I required a very specific tank and did not find one available used after months of searching.

---

Buying your tank(s), like buying the rest of your, gear is about convenience and about being able to dive more, but there is also a safety aspect to it. With your own tank, you know where it's been and you know what's been in it and that can be important. Many of the regs I have seen that have had some type of failure or serious maintenence problem got that way because of oxidation or water in a tank.

Thanks much for this thread guys. I'm in a similar boat right now and this thread definitely has me on the "avoid AL" tanks. I do have my own Regs, so that helps.

go to a lds and buy used tanks i use steel. my last i bought ws a 120 for 100 dollars with vis and hydro. if you dive outside your area you might want to get steel. al paronoia. also ask your self on every rental whats been in your tank? with a declining market call a lot of shops for buying used tanks. i think you will find a good price.

Back
Top Bottom