The Value of Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's already been said, but I'll reiterate -- the big thing about having your own tanks is freedom and convenience. And nothing in this sport makes financial sense :) so if having the tanks comes close to your cost to rent, it's well worth it. Used tanks are a very reasonable purchase, as well, and like cars, tanks seem to lose about half their value when they leave the dive shop the first time . . .

Totally agree. No purchase make financial sense unless you have special need that rental stuff won't satisfied, but then it is not just based on financial sense.

I don't know about your locaiton. Here where I live, I can get tank rental, AL80, for $6/day or $10 per week. Air fill range from $3 to $5 (different shop) depends on how quickly you want it done. So cost of the AL80 useage is onlyu $3/day. And no need to worry about inpection, hydro test ... all the maintainance stuff. As for the convinient arguement, I am not buying it yet. Unless you can do air fill at home, you still need to stop by LDS, so may as well rent the tank too. The only reason that makes logical sense is the performance of rental stuff is not up to the diver's standard.

Those of us who use the convenience argument are not speaking about the trip to the shop...we are talking about WHEN we make the trips. With my own tanks, I get them refilled when it fits MY schedule. I can go home after a dive, and not worry about being charged another day because I didn't get the tanks back in time.

Also, before having my own tanks, I missed three dives because I couldn't get tanks picked up before my buddies were heading out. I bought tanks for the convenience of diving when I could...NOT when I could get to the shop. Yes, I have to make a trip to get my tanks filled...but I do it on my schedule, and my tanks are waiting at home filled and ready to go when I have a chance to dive...now that is convenient! You may not buy the argument...but I am sure glad I bought the tanks!:wink:

for the convinient arguement, I am not buying it yet. Unless you can do air fill at home, you still need to stop by LDS, so may as well rent the tank too. The only reason that makes logical sense is the performance of rental stuff is not up to the diver's standard

It IS all about convenience!

Owning your own tanks means you can dive on YOUR schedule. On the spur of the moment, and not worry about returning the tanks by a certain time.... and on the rare occasions that you need to abort a dive day (bad conditions when you reach the dive site, whatever) you do not feel that you "wasted" the tank rental....

Renting tanks means you dive on the DIVE SHOP'S schedule to a certain extent, and you are forced to depend on availability of rental tanks (most shops have plenty... but on a busy weekend, they CAN run out of rentals).

And as with other pieces of scuba gear, once you "own your own", you tend to dive more.

Best wishes.

If you do lot of diving they will definitely pay off, but the convenience factor is probably the best reason to own a tank. It is much easier to take off and dive if you have a tank on hand, and when you own a tank you almost look for reasons to dive, well more reasons, but do we really need more reasons to dive? LOL

One warning, tanks tend to multiply like rabbits.

And remember Craig’s List is your friend, just understand about the older Aluminum tanks and how to read the marking on a tank

Old Tanks Link
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/tanks-valves-bands/301118-how-identify-luxfer-6351-tank.html

How to read tank markings Link
Dive Shop

If I rent, that's two trips the LDS and they have to be right before and right after I dive. Using my own tanks, it's one trip when it's convenient to me.

Posted via Mobile Device

Vacation divers rent.
Divers who do most of their diving locally tend to own their tanks and as such, dive more often.

I own my tanks but rent when I travel.

It IS all about convenience!

Owning your own tanks means you can dive on YOUR schedule. On the spur of the moment, and not worry about returning the tanks by a certain time.... and on the rare occasions that you need to abort a dive day (bad conditions when you reach the dive site, whatever) you do not feel that you "wasted" the tank rental....

Renting tanks means you dive on the DIVE SHOP'S schedule to a certain extent, and you are forced to depend on availability of rental tanks (most shops have plenty... but on a busy weekend, they CAN run out of rentals).

And as with other pieces of scuba gear, once you "own your own", you tend to dive more.

Best wishes.

Oh I never though about that.

currently, I am still rental regulator (because I haven't decided on what to get yet) and tank. So I guess I cannot avoid the LDS schedule. I think once I buy my reg, tank will follow.

owning tanks is about one of 2 things.
1) you live close you water that you dive regularly enough that you "need" to have ready access to tanks when you get the urge to get under water
2) you have special requirements- ie doubles, argon, trimix, etc... that renting tanks is no longer practical

if you always have to travel with your tanks, then owning tanks rarely pays off, independent of the finances, as you probably don't do it enough and when you do you are probably taking enough other stuff that you don't want to also carry tanks with you, not to mention, when you get there, you get on a boat and they supply tanks anyway.

It seems steel tanks hold there value a bit better than aluminum.
If you sell your tanks say five years later for whatever reason and
have used them a fair amount the loss you take might not be all that
bad compared to the rentals. I started out doing mostly shore diving
somewhat local and purchasing two aluminum tanks made sense. Now,
the third aluminum tank and two not so cheap steel tanks after that
is what I'm still trying to make sense of ! Actually four tanks works out
nice for a weekend diving trip. Not having to run off to the dive shop for
a late fill or having to get up early to pick up tanks is worth it to me !

If all you are doing is shallow shore dives, look around for some old steel 72's. I got 2 last year for $20 each, Hydro and vis were $25 each, so I got 2 tanks for $90.

I would not pay more then $75 or so for a newer aluminum 80 (stay away from the older tanks as the alloy hassel is getting too much to deal with - I got the steels above to replace 2 1970's/80's aluminums that I scraped for this reason) and at most 50% of the purchase cost for any of the newer steels.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom