The unfortunate tale of a place where everybody knows your name

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Old politician's trick:
Them: Remember that dive we did 6 years ago?
Me: It sure was fun!
Them: I knew you'd remember!

I always like to go with, "oh hey. Is your wife here, too?"

Another good one is ‘let me introduce you to my wife ....this is xxxx (wife) ’ and then when the guy shakes her hand, he will usually say his name.

I use that one a lot

I've had two hispanic girlfriends... a quiet "Quien?" and they would introduce themselves so I could hear their name.

I have had the exact opposite experience as @Texasguy. I spent 30 years in a career with my (last) name in plain sight on my uniform. Right up until the day I retired, if you referred to me as Captain _____________, you stood about a 50/50 chance of getting a blank look back. If, however your referred to me as Hoag to anyone in the Air Defence community (Fighter Pilot or Controller) of either the USAF or RCAF, they would know immediately that I was me you were talking about.

Oh and specifically to @Texasguy's issue of putting his name on gear so insta-buddies can find you, what I do is I have a 2inch x 2inch square of SOLAS reflective tape on the bottom of each of my fins.

I did something similar and have a little band with my name on it that goes around the right shoulder strap of the BCD. I got it for being on a dive boat so the crew would better identify me and my gear and to make it easier for others.

Turns out it worked great and the crew I go out with when traveling started treating me a little friendlier then others as the days went on as it was a great ice breaker and allowed me to stand out among all the different people they constantly see. My incredible personality and sense of humor didn't hurt I'm sure.

Another good one is ‘let me introduce you to my wife ....this is xxxx (wife) ’ and then when the guy shakes her hand, he will usually say his name.

Doesn't work. On Seinfeld, Jerry tried that one when he couldn't remember his girlfriend's name!

Wait, you're Net Doc? OMG, can I have your autograph?!?!?!?
I'm gonna have to try this next time I'm together with the scubaboard crowd.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom