"The Ultimate Scuba Diving Mask Strap" review....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mitchell Teeters

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Some time ago while cruising the FS section I stumbled across this thread. The Ultimate Scuba Diving Mask Strap

I took a look and quite frankly couldn't see how this hyperbole was going to make this something I would like to use. I definitely wanted a different strap, but when you read stuff like this you have to question it. I figured what the heck, it didn't cost and arm and a leg, and the shipping was free.

I ordered my usual color when I can get it, black. They are offered in several different colors, yellow, red, blue, and black. I placed my order via PP and waited, and waited, and waited. The shipping is free, but it is coming from Thailand so you have to wait.

Dang I hated the wait, especially since I lost my mask on a surface swim the very w/e the strap arrived back at the house. Oh well, crap happens. I even had to go sign for it from the USPS.

Ok, that is the background, now to meat and potatoes. The strap is made from a piece of sewn and edge taped neoprene. The webbing is approximately .75" nylon, and the velcro is of the same width which is pretty rough stiff on the edges (more on this later). I tried the strap on a spare mask at the house. I could feel that the edges of the velcro rubbed hard on the tops of my ears which means that if you are going to wear this strap on a bare noggin it needs to ride high on the back of the head. I thought, "no biggie, I dive a hood". Adjusting the mask is extremely straight forward. Place the mask on the face, tighten the velcro (with the clips clipped). It is a good comfortable fit with no issues there.

I really like that when the clips are released the mask will drop to the chin area. Of note you have to be careful, when you take the hood off, you must take care because the mask will come off as well, that is unless you pay attention. In general I am pretty impressed with the mask strap.

Pros:
  • The mask works really well for controlling the mask when on the surface.
  • The strap is super comfortable with a hood.
Cons:
  • The velcro is sharp on the edges so diving w/o a hood might be an issue. I would recommend buying some tubular nylon to put over the velro.
  • The velcro is abrading my hood.
  • The BCD ring snap is too small for my D-rings, I had to hook to a small split ring. Of course you don't have take it on and off.
Area of concern:

• The back neoprene looks a little thin so I'm watching for wear there. I don't wear my mask really tight so that is a non-issue to date.

My final verdict, this is a recommend. I am

I use a similar neoprene strap now that I'm pretty happy with. But i must say that the best strap I've ever used, while a tad bit complicated, was on my first dive mask; I can't remember the brand right now. XS Scuba seems to have bought them up and taken the design:

XSSMP2.jpg

Wonderfully easy to adjust, and mine had a really comfortable neoprene cover. I only ever had one problem with it, and that was when it was a little loose on my head during a boat entry. I was careless and it went right off my head and my buddy had to rescue it (traveling, so I had no spare). I couldn't fit the straps onto my new Cressi mask, so I reverted back to a standard neoprene strap. Otherwise I'd still be using it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom