The Ultimate Gear Table

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
If you were to build a table to hold your gear and help you get in it, what features would it have? How tall? Would it have a seat? Tank holder design? etc.

The table needs to be made within a reasonably low budget and be as abuse proof as possible. It would be used for gearing up near a lake or spring and you would be walking a short distance all geared up in order to get in the water.

Be creative, I want to steal some good ideas. :D

What about a Beast Bench? We got tired of laying our gear on the ground...and having to pick it up to put on.

abr.sized.jpg

abt.sized.jpg

Beast has made about a dozen of these benches for our local lake. They can be made at different heighths, the tall one's like the one in the photo you just back up to. Shorters one's for vertically challenged divers or for sitting down to gear up/down. Some will hold six sets of gear on each side (made for classes) and other hold only 2. He sort of decided on the size according to the agle iron and board scraps he has on hand.

He's improved this basic model with pegs on the inside of the legs to hold fins and a peg sticking straight up on the top of each back piece corner to hang masks and other things. We also attach the bungy cord to the top of the board rather than the front. Oh...and if you use this type of bungies, buy the good ones! We tried going cheap and they had to be replaced in just a couple of months.

Although these are made of welded angle iron frames with 2x6 shelves, the whole thing can be made of wood....just makes them alot heavier.

If you need/want any dimension details, just let me know.

As far as cost goes I'd alter a picnic table. Dividing the table area with an upright bar with bungie cords so that you can anchor down tanks. The best tank storage would be something very similar to firewood bins. I like the height of most tables to put the weight of the tank on your back while already standing.
There are concrete statuary places that sell the table kits for dirt cheap here in town. I went to a state park in FL this past summer that had picnic tables with small huts over them. They were perfect for me and my gf to get into our gear.
At the quary I usually dive at I've seen people use dock carts to transport their gear from the picnic tables to the water.

Great input keep it coming!

WHy not become a guru and just have your acolytes hold everything while you gear up and they gain spiritual enlightment? Plus, just imagine the direct-to-video marketing possibilities of "Acolytes Gone Wild" DVDs.

Dee:
What about a Beast Bench? We got tired of laying our gear on the ground...and having to pick it up to put on.

abr.sized.jpg

abt.sized.jpg

Beast has made about a dozen of these benches for our local lake. They can be made at different heighths, the tall one's like the one in the photo you just back up to. Shorters one's for vertically challenged divers or for sitting down to gear up/down. Some will hold six sets of gear on each side (made for classes) and other hold only 2. He sort of decided on the size according to the agle iron and board scraps he has on hand.

He's improved this basic model with pegs on the inside of the legs to hold fins and a peg sticking straight up on the top of each back piece corner to hang masks and other things. We also attach the bungy cord to the top of the board rather than the front. Oh...and if you use this type of bungies, buy the good ones! We tried going cheap and they had to be replaced in just a couple of months.

Although these are made of welded angle iron frames with 2x6 shelves, the whole thing can be made of wood....just makes them alot heavier.

If you need/want any dimension details, just let me know.

Love the bench. Can you give me the dimensions? Thanks.

Tom Winters:
WHy not become a guru and just have your acolytes hold everything while you gear up and they gain spiritual enlightment? Plus, just imagine the direct-to-video marketing possibilities of "Acolytes Gone Wild" DVDs.
:lol3:
This is for public use so it's not like I have only myself to think about. I can't stay at the site 7 days a week ....... unless they hire me to be a guru .... :D

How about this one?

A DIR buddy had it constructed by a friend. Very easy to transport.

I usually use the tailgate of my buddies truck or a picnic table. You could always bring a long a really gulable friend to hold your gear :p.... I would like the beast table for at home to hold my gear.....<need to get my own place and leave the parents>

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom