The stress of packing for a dive trip….

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I’m not usually this stressed getting ready for a dive trip. But for various reasons, our last dive trip was this time last year! I don’t count a weekend trip to Dallas or our weekly trips to Twin Lakes. I’m talking about a trip requiring passports and plane rides to another country.

Packing dive gear and a few clothes is easy and requires maybe 20 minutes, unless I need to wash my favorite shorts. What’s stressful to me is packing camera gear and this trip is turning out to be a doozy! In the last 3 weeks I discovered my strobe is broken and needs a new switch. Ryan from Underwater Camera Pros has generously offered to loan me an Inon D-180 strobe and a bunch of other stuff to try out. It works great in the pool but at home the focus light cap comes off. 4 days before we leave and I’m back to no strobe and hoping the old one gets repaired and back in time. I’ve taken a deep breath and realized that I can still take some great photos with the internal flash only; we see them on the board every day. I will NOT let this ruin my trip!

Now, back to the packing stress. In the past, I’ve always packed all the camera gear in a photo backpack as my carry-on. It’s stuffed to the top, weighs about 30# and I’d still have to carry the laptop separately. This year Beast has his own camera set-up, my old C-4040/PT-10 rig, so we’ve got almost twice as much ‘stuff’. This is on top of the normal things we have in carry on, such as logbooks, my RX mask, 1 set of regs, etc. We’re both tired of traveling like pack mules! This year we started thinking about sending the camera gear through as checked baggage. Do I dare? All of it is insured except the laptop. I can’t say the trip would be ruined if I didn’t have my camera gear but it would definitely put a hole in it. We have one of the big Pelican 1650 boxes. My one experience with checking gear packed in it resulted in an attempt to pry off the locks, probably at Houston’s airport. However Beast has never had his messed with. Of course he’s all for shipping everything and I’m scared to death! I took the big Pelican box and plucked the foam to fit everything. It was a nice complete package…and I didn’t sleep a wink thinking of all that COULD happen to it.

Back to the drawing board for a plan we could both live with to save our aching backs. Once again I laid out everything on a big table in the garage. We’re taking just bare necessity photo gear. In Beasts backpack he’ll carry the laptop, C-5050/PT-15 and both cameras. In my backpack I’ll have our logbook (I’ll add pages for Beast in my logbook), mask, 1 swim suit each and personal necessities. All other camera gear will go in checked baggage in the Pelican. I’m going to ass-u-me that my old strobe will be repaired and delivered before we leave, so I’m taking the stuff needed for it. We’ll each have a gear bag, which will include our few clothes. I think I can live with this.

Let’s see, where is that old bottle of Valium…should I initiate that new credit card…should I just get a grip, leave the camera stuff at home and enjoy the first clear salt water I’ve tasted in a year? :D

My favorite quote from the movie "Shakespeare In Love":

"I know it doesn't look good, but it will all work out! It always does."
"How?! How does it always work out?"
"I don't know...it's a mystery."

Enjoy the trip! As for all the other crisises...well...it will all work out. It always does!

All the best, James

I recently went to Roatan on TACA from SFO. I too had made sure I had my camera gear, regs, computor, meds, change of clothes etc. in my carry on. When I arrived in SFO for my flight, they insisted that they weigh our carry on baggage. They told us that we could only carry 22 pounds in our carry on in each bag! We had to tear into our checked baggage right there in front of the ticket counter, find room, stash most of the gear to get under 22 lbs. I have never had that occur before. Other people I meant on the trip, flew TACA from other U.S destinations, and they were never even asked about thier carry on weight. go figure.

diverrick....we've been lucky so far, TACA has never weighed our backpacks. But if we have a regular carry-on case on wheels, they weigh and measure it. The way we have it now, each backpack is down to about 18# so hopefully we'll not have the same problems!

Dee -

Sounds like you have it under control! I know the feeling, though. This last trip back I decided that I always take too much on carry-on and it is a hassle. So I bought a small (very small!) backpack and if it didn't fit, it didn't go. I checked everything else. It worked a treat and it was so much more pleasant in the actual travelling part!

All arrived despite planes being delayed and changed. Nothing was damaged (except one souvenir maitai glass from tiki's in Hawaii!) and nothing was stolen.

You'll be fine and have a great time... I am jealous...

As you know they now want luggange to remain unlocked for security reasons. I have used tie wraps for years, but I saw that there are some new locks out there. You have a combo and there is a slot for the key on the bottom. The security people have the skeleton key for the lock. Might take a load off your mind.....

Hi Dee,

I faced the same dilema about sending my camera gear in checked baggage when I switched from my Tetra housing to my Titan D100 housing. The new housing with the Dome and Flat ports, lenses, strobes, etc., is just too big to carry on the plane like I used to do.

Now, I pack up everything but the camera and lenses into a large pelican case and ship it with the baggage. I usually put a tie-wrap on the case, and it has always been opened and inspected when I arrive (usually there is a note inside from the inspectors). I have never had anything damaged or stolen yet. My theory has been that most people won't know what the items inside the case are (or what they are worth) and will leave them alone.

I carry my Camera (Nikon D-100), lenses, dive computers and laptop in my backpack with our masks and a few other items. My wife carries both regulators in her carry on. We've done this several times and it works out pretty well.

Now relax, and have a great time!

Sounds like you got it all figured out.
Looking forward to seeing your pics when you return...
If worst comes to worst with or without the camera I'm sure you'll have a great time! Enjoy the salt water... I'm still waiting to get wet up here :)

Thanks, Gang.....I'm feeling better about the whole thing now!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom