The straw that broke the divers back.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then why are you so overweight? Seriously that's a legitimate question.

Because I like to eat. Seriously, that's a legitimate answer.

I make no apologies or excuses for my weight. It is what it is, and I'm content with my lifestyle choices. I only bring it into this conversation to point out that your stereotypes have no basis in reality.

To my concern, doc ... you're blinder than your patients ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Barring a huge, permanent lifestyle change (swapping a desk job for a manual warehouse job, for example), people weigh what they weigh, and only minimal changes are actually possible on a permanent basis.

Terry

Terry that's so not true.

With that sort of defeatest attitude, why bother dieting and exercise?

It's like the fat chick slurping down the shake and saying she can't help her weight because it's her "metabolism".

To my concern, doc ... you're blinder than your patients ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'll address this off topic personal attack with the following:

In fact that's true. I don't treat blind people because glasses and contact lenses won't do them any good, and in fact I haven't had an eye exam in years and my near vision as well as my night driving vision isn't what it used to be.

You know what they say Bob, "the plumber's the only one in town with the leaky faucet"

With that sort of attitude, why bother dieting and exercise?

Dieting and exercise are temporary fixes ... take it from someone who's had lots of practice with them.

Weight control is a matter of lifestyle choices ... and once made, you must continue making them for the rest of your life.

But steering this back to the topic of the thread ... weight control is not the panacea either the OP or yourself have made it out to be ... not where diving's concerned. The vast majority of diving accidents are not the result of not exercising your body ... they're the result of not exercising your judgment ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

With that sort of defeatest attitude, why bother dieting and exercise?

It's like the fat chick slurping down the shake and saying she can't help her weight because it's her "metabolism".

Agreed! That is so not true. My husband lost 50 lbs. No change in job, no change in excercise. Less calories in than out = weight loss.

Try the National Geographic article named "Why are we so fat?"
Bottom line is that we are too lazy to exercise and two self-centered to reduce our intake.

The vast majority of diving accidents are not the result of not exercising your body ... they're the result of not exercising your judgment ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

For the most part I agree with you.

However (as far as I know, correct me if I'm wrong), in most if not many diving accidents, the victim has had a heart attack.

The diving accident is more often than not due to poor judgement, the resultant crisis, panic, over exertion, and then the fatality.

That chain can be broken in several ways- better training, and better fitness being among them.

So to better your chances of surviving a diving accident, be trained, and be fit.

I don't think we're really saying anything all that different here.

Dieting and exercise are temporary fixes ... take it from someone who's had lots of practice with them.

Weight control is a matter of lifestyle choices ... and once made, you must continue making them for the rest of your life.

But steering this back to the topic of the thread ... weight control is not the panacea either the OP or yourself have made it out to be ... not where diving's concerned. The vast majority of diving accidents are not the result of not exercising your body ... they're the result of not exercising your judgment ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I would much rather dive with someone who is mentally in shape versus physically.

For the most part I agree with you.

However (as far as I know, correct me if I'm wrong), in most if not many diving accidents, the victim has had a heart attack.

The diving accident is more often than not due to poor judgement, the resultant crisis, panic, over exertion, and then the fatality.

That chain can be broken in several ways- better training, and better fitness being among them.

So to better your chances of surviving a diving accident, be trained, and be fit.

I don't think we're really saying anything all that different here.

You are wrong ... statistically we don't know the root cause of most diving accidents. Of the ones I am personally familiar with, in almost all cases the diver either made poor planning decisions or executed the dive poorly. In nearly half of them, the diver was found with no air in their cylinder, which doesn't indicate that they died of a heart attack. In the majority of the rest, panic was a factor (several embolized while clawing their way to the surface) ... which again isn't in any way indicative of their physical condition.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Right- diet and exercise are temporary fixes if you do them temporarily.

The older we get the more we need to work at it.

If you engage in an aggressive fitness and dieting program and get to a more ideal weight, quite often it's possible to back off on the aggressiveness of the dieting and exercise to maintain the new level but you've gotta stay with it to some extent for the rest of your life or you'll end up back where you started.

Or worse.

Why is the swimming requirement different for an OW diver and a divemaster. What is the divemaster supposed to do that a buddy isn't supposed to be able to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom