The story of the Missing Ziptie.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hektic

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Over spring break I took my AOW with my buddy. We did our dives over 2 weekends at Lake Travis. Prior to this class I had purchased my scuba gear. I thought I was slick for ordering online to save money but boy was I wrong. One of the pieces of gear I ordered was a Aeris Airlink. Its an inflator hose octo. When It got to me it was impossible to breath from, no matter how hard I pulled. So I call up my LDS and ask about getting it serviced since I don't want to fool with sending it back and waiting. Turns out they don't service Aeris but luckily another shop in town does. I picked my airlink up the Friday before the first dives.

We had a class of 4 and one dropped after the first day of diving for medical reasons. So it was 3 of us and the instructor. I was buddies with my buddy and the 3rd guy was with the instructor. We were on the Mansfield damside of the park and we swam out about 15 yards and dropped to about a 25ft bottom that they use for search and recovery training. Water temp was 65 on the surface.

My buddy and I are hanging out on the bottom waiting for our instructor to get done communicating with his buddy so that he can give us the go ahead to start the navigation exercise. After less that a minute on the bottom I felt a jet of cold water rush in my mouth. As a reach for my reg I'm thinking, "I know the reg is still in my mouth, I've got the mouthpiece in my mouth. What the heck could be wrong with it?" When my hand reached my mouth there was no reg, the mouthpiece had fallen off!

I spat out my mouthpiece and grabbed my octo/inflator and started breathing. I reached over and grabbed my mouthpiece and then got my buddy's attention and showed him my 2nd stage with no mouthpiece just to see what his reaction would be. I thought it was humorous. My intentions were to then snap it back together. At that moment I was thinking, "I'll just get a ziptie when I get to shore and fix it before the next dive, for now just keep your hand near your reg and check on it, no biggie."

I was relatively calm throughout the whole deal, but before I got my mouthpiece back on my reg I started to float up. I was reaching for my bc inflator hose to let some air out but forgot that it was also my octo, which was presently in my mouth. In the confusion I drop my mouthpiece and start frantically reaching for where my bc inflator should be. Mind you I'm rising slowly but the loss of control made me panic for an instant, until i remembered that my bc inflator was in my mouth. I take it out, extend the hose up, get the air out and plop on the bottom. I put the inflator/octo in my mouth and start to breath again.

The moment I regain control the instructor swims over, signals us to buddy up and start the exercise. My buddy sees how awkward I was with the inflator/octo so he extended his conventional octo and we went to the surface. When we got there our instructor was super confused until I showed him my reg with no mouthpiece. I got to hang out on the surface while they got some more search and recovery practice. Within a couple minutes they find the mouthpiece and we continue the dive.

I learned so much on this one dive.

1st - Service your gear regularly. You never know whats going to happen, and every piece of it needs to work. When I had my inflator/octo in my mouth I thought, "Man I just picked this thing up two days ago...Im glad I got it done." If I had been lazy and neglected to get my airlink working as an octo before my weekend of diving I could have been in some trouble and also put my buddy at risk.

2nd - Inspect your gear before every dive. I know when I got my reg it had the ziptie on it, but I didn't check it before I got in the lake that day. It was black like the mouthpiece so I guess that's why it didn't stand out to me when I was assembling my gear. If I had not of been so lucky I could have easily aspirated water when the 2nd stage became loose.

3rd - Know your gear. I felt a wave of panic come over me when I reached for my bc inflator and it was not there. If I had practiced more with my gear I would have known to either use the dump valve or to simply take the octo out of my mouth to release some air. If you get new gear practice with it. Especially an inflator/octo.

4th - Buy from your LDS or find out what your LDS services before you buy your gear.

They weren't lying when they said that scuba diving is an equipment intensive sport.

Keep in mind all of this happened at 25 ft so at anytime had I been really panicked I could have done an ESA w/o a problem. I was lucky that it didnt happen the next week when we were at 130ft on the grate of the dam where you cant see any further than your face to computer monitor WITH your dive light. Its silty and nasty, but the grate is nice to use for controlling your depth.

Now, even when I'm just jumping in the pool to screw around (I get bored vacuuming the pool from the deck...if I got air why not?), I check every piece of my gear no matter how casual the diving. Just to get in the habit

Right now I'm doing the Stress and Rescue which will wrap up this weekend. Our instructor asked us if we would be willing to volunteer one day to help test out a Divecon in training. We would be "students" given instructions to freak out so the Divecon can react...maybe I should pull this one on him :D

Be safe.

If you get new gear practice with it. Especially an inflator/octo.
This is the real lesson IMO. An emergency is not the time to start getting familiar with the latest gadgetry. If you are going to use an Air2-type combination inflator/backup regulator (its technically not an octo because you don't donate it), practice doing ascents while breathing from the backup. You shouldn't have to take the regulator out of your mouth to add or dump air.

FWIW, I use a bungeed backup with the primary on a long hose, where the backup is right under my chin and the inflator is in the normal location. That should also be practiced with.

That ziptie thing sucks. Had the same exact thing happen to me in Hawaii. Breathing air and all of a sudden wish I had gills. While I don't have my primary on a long hose, I do have my Octopus on a long hose bungeed to my chest. Had an Air II once and got rid of it for a lot of the reasons you experienced. I don't see what buying on line has to do with the situation though. You can get sb-standard gear right out of the box from your LDS. My LDS Reg Tech failed to replace the ziptie. Good recovery by the way.

This has nothing to do with buying online or "supporting your LDS." It has everything to do with less-than-ideal gear choices, and simply not paying attention to your own gear. If you can't see that the ziptie is not on your 2nd stage mouthpiece, well, that's your fault. No offense.

Think of this as a good lesson, and you didn't even have to pay any extra for it! You handled some anxiety and unexpected problems, there's real value in that. Now be smart and get rid of the octo/inflator, get yourself a standard 2nd stage for an alternate. Put it on a 22-24" hose and make your self a nice bungie necklace, get a 5ft hose for your primary, and you'll be all set.

This has nothing to do with buying online or "supporting your LDS." It has everything to do with less-than-ideal gear choices, and simply not paying attention to your own gear. If you can't see that the ziptie is not on your 2nd stage mouthpiece, well, that's your fault. No offense.

I take responsibility for the missing ziptie. I mentioned buying online becuase my Aeris Airlink arrived and I could not get a breath through it and needed to service it. If i got it from my LDS it would have been simple and i would not have had to pay to get a brand new reg serviced. I had serveral dives on my new gear before the incident and the ziptie came off at some point between the dives...just need to stay up on my gear checks, not makin excuses. Thanks for the replies.

For years, I used a sherwood shadow as my secondary/inflator hose. When I got more serious about diving and was always doing drills, I realized that this type of secondary is far less than ideal. I would reach over for the secondary and it would dump all my air through the quick dump on my BCD. Breathing off of it, I wouldn't be able to turn my head all the way to the right. I still use the same reg, but it is not attached to my BCD, it is on a bungee around my neck and I have a 7' hose on my primary. I would never consider this setup again. It may be slim and compact, great for traveling, only having 3 hoses off the first stage... but when you actually practice with it, you realize that it is less than ideal configuration.

It may be slim and compact, great for traveling, only having 3 hoses off the first stage... but when you actually practice with it, you realize that it is less than ideal configuration.
This is what I had in mind when I purchased the equipment. But now that I'm gaining more experience I realize it was a sub-par choice. When I start my Divecon in the fall I'm going to buy some new gear.

I take responsibility for the missing ziptie. I mentioned buying online becuase my Aeris Airlink arrived and I could not get a breath through it and needed to service it. If i got it from my LDS it would have been simple and i would not have had to pay to get a brand new reg serviced. I had serveral dives on my new gear before the incident and the ziptie came off at some point between the dives...just need to stay up on my gear checks, not makin excuses. Thanks for the replies.

Just out of curiosity, where did you buy your regulator? If you're a new diver, and you bought the reg new, (or had it serviced recently) and the ziptie on it fell off after a few dives, hmmmm. Usually those zipties are pretty tough, I've never had one break on a regulator mouthpiece. Scubapro makes kind of a fancy clamp for the mouthpiece, and I routinely replace those with zipties. They seal better and are less problematic.

We all buy gear we regret; there's a huge thread floating around on that very topic. I just get a little cheezed when I read something about the "safety" of local purchases vs online. The old "isn't your life worth it" BS is a tried and true sales tactic that's been worn out by countless high priced LDS and gear manufacturers.

Since getting my Air2 three years ago and watching others with Air2s, I have come to the conclusion that most users don't know how to properly use these systems. Part of the problem is that some shops sell BCs with Air2s already on them.

The primary becomes the donor regulator and the Air2 become the new primary regulator.

When ascending you use the dump valve on your BC.

Others also buy an octopus because they don't know they can use the Air2 as a regulator.

YouTube - Diving Accident Broken Regulator

This is a YouTube video of what sounds like the same accident.
In this case the girl completely panics and doesn't even think to use her octo which is clearly visible in the video. Instead she decides to attack her buddy who is filming the dive. :no:

Don't do this, stay calm and think about the situation without panic.
Good job for you in staying focused on getting another air source without killing yourself or your buddy. :cool2:

Back
Top Bottom