The song of a MK25

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zung

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
It goes like this... View attachment MK25-Song.zip (direct upload of mp3 not permitted, you'll have to open the zip file.)

This MK25 was serviced by a shop in Dec. 2009 and has about 40 dives since.
During the dive just before it started squeeling, there was a string of small bubbles coming out of the ambient chamber. I swapped in the spare reg and all was well.

More about it after the autopsy, meanwhile, what's your best quess?

1. Battery low
  2. HP piston o-ring dead
  3. Ignition too lean
  4. Piston stem scratched
  5. Karma
  6. :)

longitudinal crack in the plastic tube?

---------- Post added November 24th, 2012 at 05:41 PM ----------

I don't know much about servicing regs, but I'm willing to play in the hope of learning something useful...

-given the choices, I'm going with 2. Final answer, 2.

Last edited:
That sounded like some kinky sh!t to me so I'll go for #6.

The ambient chamber bubbler is set too high. Seriously, and definitely not funny, if the tech was using a stainless pick to remove the oring sandwich from the body, they might have put a little scratch across that sealing surface. One other cause could be from the inversion of the bottom plastic bushing that makes up the bread in the oring sandwich, which has a smooth surface on one side and four dimples in the other. hopefully it's either the hp piston oring or the bushing, Good luck!

I'm not sure that's O2 compatible.

Anyhow, who cares why the thing whistles. The important question is, why can't FSU beat the stupid gators.

Ladies & Gentlemen,

The culprit is, of course, #2!
Here it is, in all its gory details:

MK25-HP.jpg

Interestingly, there was no mistake from whoever did the service, the o-ring is the correct one with the painted on red stripe, and there's plenty of lube as you can see. I have no idea why it happened.

I put a PU 90 in, and all is well, no singing anymore.

Back
Top Bottom