The impact of lubricant on IP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the explanations Bro.

For the record, all the o-rings in that reg are stock SP, 2-010 EPDM 85 for the stem, red stripe (ring), and 2-022 EPDM 70 (x 2) for the crown, blue stripe (ring), plus a 2-011 EPDM 85 for the seat, yellow stripe (ring), but this last one doesn't move.

Next time I do the mattmagic, I'll leave the area where the stem o-ring rides rough. It's about 5 mm from the tip and about 10 mm long.

Last edited:

For the record, all the o-rings in that reg are stock SP, 2-010 EPDM 85 for the stem, red ring, and 2-022 EPDM 70 (x 2) for the crown, blue ring, plus a 2-011 EPDM 85 for the seat, yellow ring, but this last one doesn't move.

Next time I do the mattmagic, I'll leave the area where the stem o-ring rides rough. It's about 5 mm from the tip and about 10 mm long.

The only time I find colored Scubapro o-rings it is either an older regulator that has not been serviced this century or NOS kits (also last century). I was under the impression that those colored scubapro o-rings are nitrile except for the "yellow" ones which I believe are urethane.

Sorry about the confusion in wording.
No, I'm not talking about the dyed o-rings of 10-20 years ago.

Currently, SP supplies black o-rings that have a color stripe painted on whenever it's critical. Like this:

Attachments

• Striped.jpg
    Striped.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 95

For the record, all the o-rings in that reg are stock SP, 2-010 EPDM 85 for the stem, red stripe (ring), and 2-022 EPDM 70 (x 2) for the crown, blue stripe (ring), plus a 2-011 EPDM 85 for the seat, yellow stripe (ring), but this last one doesn't move.

Sorry I got long winded in the previous post, I should have concluded with something along the lines of: If everything else is exactly the same except the lubricant, then you have found the culprit.

c

I saw ABBA in a tree with binoculars. Musicians think they are simplistically technical. Air Supply filled the schlep void. So throw away your guages and fill your regs with grease?

I think polishing the stem knife edge that comes into contact with the hp soft seat is a good idea, but IMHO, the area that comes into contact with the stem o-ring should not be polished. In fact, I try to put tiny scratches (preferably a cross-hatched pattern) there. These tiny scratches provide more surface area and nooks and crannies for the lubricant to adhere to.

I thought that "polishing" the piston shaft where it go under the o-ring is putting small scratches in it. I've done this to break up the glaze that seems to accumulate in this area in older pistons. By polishing I mean sanding with micromesh. I wouldn't go all the way to 12000, maybe just to 3600 or so.

Either way I'd be very surprised if silicone vs PTFE grease resulted in a 10 PSI difference in IP.

Sorry I got long winded in the previous post, I should have concluded with something along the lines of: If everything else is exactly the same except the lubricant, then you have found the culprit.

c

Yes, all else had been equal. Let me recap:
  1. Before: 10 bar/145 PSI, no creep
  2. Cleaned everything, reassembled with Christo-Lube 129, no part substitution, cycled about 20x over 6 hours
  3. After: 9 bar/130.5 PSI, creeping to 9.2 bar/133 PSI

There're 3 things I'm not sure of:
  1. The seat o-ring might not be the same: there're 3 of them 2-011 EP85 with the yellow stripe, 1 on the seat and 2 on the HP port plugs. This should have no effect on the IP, it's a static part.
  2. The piston and the seat may have rotated; that could explain the creep, since there's a little scratch at the edge.
  3. There's some verdigris inside the cap, where the crown of the piston rides. I soaked it in vinegar for 5 min. and polished it off with Brasso. This MAY affect the IP.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom